Brighton and Burnley share the spoils

Ben Mee Gaetan Bong Brighton Burnley

Brighton & Hove Albion and Burnley both had chances at the Amex Stadium although Saturday’s Premier League contest in the South East ended goalless.

Brighton 0 Burnley 0
Pope saves from Knockaert
Bardsley heads Dunk’s effort off the line
Murray misses penalty
Wood fluffs late chance

Match summary

It was the home side who had the best early chances through Glenn Murray and Anthony Knockaert but Nick Pope produced some stunning saves to deny them. Before the break, Murray blazed a penalty over the bar.

After the interval, Chris Wood had the ball in the net but it was ruled out for offside. The forward later missed a golden opportunity as he fluffed his lines in a one-on-one situation with Mathew Ryan.

Match report

Burnley started well and thought they had come close to scoring in the eighth minute as Wood connected with a powerful header from a cross, but Ryan made a fine one-handed save. Nonetheless, it wouldn’t have counted anyway as the forward was adjudged to have caused a foul in the build-up.

Brighton then started to take more control of the contest with Bruno bursting down the right-hand flank before sending in a cross into the danger area. Murray got his head to the ball but Pope in goal was alert enough to hang on to the effort.

Knockaert then had a great chance for the Seagulls in the 21st minute as he got on the end of a cut-back and hit a firm effort on target with the inside of his foot. However, Pope made a magnificent diving save to keep the ball out.

Two minutes later, Phil Bardsley came to the Clarets rescue as he cleared a Lewis Dunk header from off the line with Pope well beaten. Pascal Gross was the creator on both occasions for Chris Hughton’s men.

With that said, Murray fluffed a golden chance to hand his side the lead as he blazed a penalty over in the 36th minute. After being carelessly bundled down in the box by James Tarkowski, the veteran forward fired over the crossbar as he attempted to slam his spot-kick right down the middle.

After the break, both teams had half-chances without really threatening although the visitors had the ball in the back of the net in the 61st minute. After Jeff Hendrick fed in Scott Arfield, the midfielder forced a double-save from Ryan while Wood stuck home the rebound. Yet, the flag went up for offside as the New Zealand star was denied for a second time.

Moments later, Bardsley played in Johann Berg Gudmundsson who rounded Ryan but wasn’t able to reach the ball before it went out at the byline. A close escape for Brighton at the back.

In the 74th minute, the goalkeeper produced more heroics as Wood beat the offside trap and found himself in a one-on-one situation. However, his attempted chip hit Ryan’s shoulder and went out of bounds – for what proved to be the last real meaningful action of the game.