City stretch lead with derby success

derbi manchester

Manchester City set a new Premier League record of 14 consecutive wins as they beat Manchester United 2-1 at Old Trafford on Sunday to open up an 11-point lead.

  • Manchester United 2 Manchester City 1
  • Citizens in control at Old Trafford
  • Silva opens scoring just before HT
  • Rashford equalises soon afterwards
  • Otamendi fires visitors back in front
  • Ederson denies Lukaku and Mata late on

Match Summary

Pep Guardiola's side scored from two set-pieces which broke kindly for them, with David Silva pouncing from close range on 43 minutes before Nicolas Otamendi volleyed home from six yards out in the 54th minute.

United had briefly restored parity, though, when Marcus Rashford finished clinically from inside the box following a mistake from the City defence, but their long unbeaten home record finally came to an end.

Full Report

The visitors bossed the game, which saw them have 61% of the possession, but the opening quarter of an hour passed without incident.

David De Gea had his first save to make moments later when Nemanja Matic miscued his clearance from Leroy Sane's corner straight to the keeper at his near post.

City went close again within seconds as Raheem Sterling carried the ball towards the box and played a one-two with Gabriel Jesus before shooting straight at De Gea from 14 yards out.

Jesus was soon threatening when he skinned Marcos Rojo on the edge of the area before firing tamely at De Gea from 17 yards out, while a shot from Silva on 21 minutes deflected off Antonio Valencia and was comfortably gathered by the Spain international.

After Otamendi blasted over from 30 yards out having been afforded space to shoot on the half-hour mark, the match really came to life three minutes before half-time.

De Gea was alert to the danger as he tipped over Sane's shot after Ashley Young misjudged a cross at the back post, but there was nothing he could do to prevent Silva from scoring from the resulting corner, which was headed down into his path by Romelu Lukaku, with the Spaniard volleying home acrobatically from close range.

However, the Red Devils hit back in stoppage time as Fabian Delph missed Rojo's long ball forward and Rashford slotted home from 10 yards out. Anthony Martial had forced a save out of Ederson from the edge of the box just moments before after going on a marauding run down the left.

The Citizens were quickly into their stride in the second half as Sane cut inside from the left and carried the ball across the 18-yard area before blazing high and wide on 52 minutes.

But they retook the lead two minutes later when Lukaku mis-hit a clearance into Chris Smalling from a free-kick and Otamendi capitalised to lash home.

United looked to respond as Jesse Lingard played in Lukaku on the right in the 66th minute, but the Belgian flashed an effort over well over the crossbar, while Rashford failed to keep a free-kick down from just outside the area four minutes later.

De Gea was at his superb best soon after to deny Kevin De Bruyne on his left foot from 20 yards out, and Ederson had to be alert to parry Rashford's angled shot behind at his near post on 76 minutes.

The Brazilian pulled off a brilliant double save to keep out Lukaku from close range and Juan Mata on the rebound five minutes from time, while De Gea prevented Bernardo Silva from extending City's lead from a swift counter-attack in injury-time.