Burnley beat Saints late at St Mary’s


A late goal from Sam Vokes was the difference as Burnley overcame Southampton 1-0 at St Mary’s Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Southampton 0 Burnley 1
Redmond fires over
Gabbiadini heads wide
Pope denies Yoshida
Vokes scores winner

Match Summary

It was a quiet first half as Saints dominated but couldn’t convert their chances with Sofiane Boufal and Nathan Redmond coming close before the break.

It was eventually Vokes who opened the scoring as he came off the bench to finish a good cross from Johann Gudmundsson, for the eventual winner.

Full Report

Southampton started the game brightly but a good counter attack from Burnley allowed Gudmundsson to pick the ball up and run before firing wide from 25 yards out.

The Saints continued to try create opportunities and Dusan Tadic managed to curl in a good ball into the box which Ryan Bertrand was there to meet but he couldn’t keep his effort on target as the score remained level after 30 minutes.

Nathan Redmond had a great chance moments later as he beat Matthew Lowton but fired well over the intended target.

Redmond was again in the action, five minutes later as he crossed in for Sofiane Boufal, who got a shot away on the half-volley but the Burnley keeper Nick Pope was equal to the task.

On the edge of half-time, Redmond made a great run down the right wing before cutting onto his right foot and firing off a good effort, only for Pope to parry the ball away for a corner as both teams entered the break on even terms.

Southampton had the better start of the second half and Cedric Soares’s cross found the head of Manolo Gabbiadini who could only head the effort wide.

Redmond then slid in Bertrand who was in a promising position but Gudmundsson was there to make a sliding block. The resulting corner saw Pope drop the cross towards Maya Yoshida who hit it first time, but Pope deflected the ball over.

With 30 minutes to go, Cedric played a great ball to Tadic, who was about to pull the trigger before Ben Mee made a vital interception.

Vokes came off the bench five minutes later and with 10 minutes to go, he opened the scoring with a powerful header as he met Gudmundsson’s cross and beat Fraser Forster to give Burnley the lead.

Southampton continued to press but couldn’t find the goal they were looking for as Burnley managed to claim all three points at St Mary’s.