Reports in Spain on Tuesday morning claim United are preparing to renew their long-standing interest in Coentrao, who was on the verge of joining them back in August 2013.
The Portugal international has been a bit-part player at Madrid this season and would has said he would jump at the chance to revive his career at United.
He told Portuguese newspaper O Jogo: “I already showed that interest in playing there (at Manchester United). It’s one of the best clubs in the world, a club that I admire a lot. It would be an honour to play there.”
United have continued to monitor his situation at the Bernabeu and will try to tempt the 27-year-old left-back once again at the end of the season, according to Spanish newspaper AS.
AS also states that United want to strengthen their left-back position due to Luke Shaw’s injury problems this season.
Coentrao, who is under contract until 2019, has not been a regular under Carlo Ancelotti this term, although he has often been selected for Madrid’s most important matches in recent years, including last year’s Champions League final.