Palace edge Saints in thriller

A lot has changed since Saints travelled to Selhurst Park on Boxing Day, with that 3-1 defeat leading to Neil Warnock’s sacking and the appointment of the popular former Eagles midfielder.

Even the most optimistic of Palace fans, though, could not have predicted Pardew’s impact, with this 3-2 win – their second in succession – continuing his 100 per cent start to life at the helm, ending Southampton’s eight-match unbeaten run.

Graziano Pelle ended a seven-match goal drought to put Saints ahead – a lead quickly wiped out as Chamakh bundled home on his return from a six-week injury lay-off.

The first half saw Sanogo coming close, before Saints broke and Dann turned a Ryan Bertrand cross into his own goal.

However, that lead was once again short-lived as Sanogo netted his first Palace goal, before the 3,225 travelling fans saw their side go ahead as Chamakh rounded Fraser Forster to slot home.

It meant Saints had conceded more in 39 minutes than in their five previous games in 2015 combined and, while they improved in the second half, they were unable to find the equaliser needed to force a replay.

Both managers named strong line-ups and the hosts struck the first blow as James Ward-Prowse swung in a fine corner from the left, with Wayne Hennessey unable to stop Pelle’s stabbed effort crossing the line.

It was far from a dominant Saints start, though, and Palace took just two minutes to strike back.

Sanogo had room to fire a low, powerful strike goalwards – an effort Forster could only fumble into the path of Chamakh, who duly bundled home in front of the raucous visiting support.

It was an impressive comeback which would have got better had Sanogo taken advantage of some sloppy play, only for Forster to recover the ball after the Eagles striker’s shot squirmed through his grasp.

It was a let-off Southampton capitalised on, launching an immediate break down the left which resulted in Bertrand firing in a low cross and Dann accidentally directing into his own goal.

After Fraizer Campbell forced Forster into action, Palace once again drew parity in the 21st minute as Sanogo coolly slotted home after being put through by Wilfried Zaha.

Ward-Prowse and Steven Davis both came close with fizzing 25-yard drives, while at the other end Sanogo headed over from the corner Florin Gardos conceded under pressure.

However, there was another goal as Chamakh netted his second of the afternoon in the 39th minute, breaking behind the Saints backline and coolly rounding Forster before slotting home.

Ronald Koeman’s men were struggling to nullify attack-minded Palace, appearing rattled whenever the visitors poured forward