Reds advance after seven-goal thriller

Liverpool staged another memorable comeback as they came from two goals down to beat Borussia Dortmund 4-3 at Anfield on Thursday night to reach the Europa League semi-finals.

  • Liverpool 4 Borussia Dortmund 3
  • Visitors race to a 2-0 lead
  • Origi halves deficit for Reds
  • Reus restores two-goal cushion
  • Coutinho, Sakho, Lovren swing tie

Match Summary

The two teams went into the second leg of the quarter-final all-square after the first leg in Germany last week ended 1-1. Dortmund established their dominance early on with two goals inside the opening 10 minutes from Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.

Divock Origi gave Jurgen Klopp’s side hope with a goal three minutes into the second half, although Marco Reus restored the visitors’ two-goal cushion before the hour mark to seemingly put them in control.

However, Philippe Coutinho pulled another back on 66 minutes and Mamadou Sakho then headed home the equaliser 12 minutes later before Dejan Lovren pounced at the death to secure a dramatic 5-4 win on aggregate for the Reds.

Full Report

Thomas Tuchel’s men got off to a flying start as they took the lead after just five minutes through a swift counter-attack.

Aubameyang was played in on goal by Gonzalo Castro’s lobbed pass and the Gabon striker fired off a volley that was parried by Simon Mignolet into the path of Mkhitaryan, who was left with a simple close-range finish.

The hosts needed a quick response but instead it was Dortmund who struck again, Aubameyang this time beating Mignolet from an acute angle on the right after being sent through on goal by Reus’ sliding pass.

Liverpool fashioned their first real chance on 17 minutes when Origi was played in by Adam Lallana and the striker saw his shot deflected onto the post by a sliding challenge from a defender.

The Belgian would threaten again on 25 minutes from James Milner’s cross, but he failed to keep his first-time shot down from six yards out and the ball flew over the crossbar.

However, Origi was not to be denied as he managed to find the back of the net shortly after the restart, sending the ball underneath on-rushing goalkeeper Roman Weidenfeller from 12 yards out after being set up by Emre Can.

Liverpool’s hopes of advancing to the last four appeared to be dashed nine minutes later when Reus put the Bundesliga outfit 3-1 up with a fine curling finish from the left that found the top right corner of the goal.

However, the Reds hit back in the 66th minute after Coutinho played a one-two with Milner outside the area before drilling a low shot past Weidenfeller from 20 yards out.

Klopp’s troops were began to show a new-found confidence and they went in search of the equaliser, which duly arrived on 78 minutes via Sakho, who steered home Coutinho’s cross from close range to send the home fans into raptures.

Lovren’s stoppage-time winner sparked even wilder celebrations from the crowd as the defender rose highest to head home Milner’s cross at the back post from close range to complete another momentous comeback from the Premier League club.