Borussia Dortmund midfielder Gonzalo Castro says that Ousmane Dembele’s behaviour and subsequent suspension is damaging to the Bundesliga club.
Dembele shocked the Dortmund board and his teammates last week when he responded to news that he is a target for La Liga giants, Barcelona, by not attending a mandatory training session.
The club responded by suspending the young starlet and denying Barca’s statements that negotiations for his signature were nearing completion.
“He was always there, he played an outstanding season. And all of a sudden, he doesn’t show up for training,” Castro told Bild when asked how the squad is interpreting the situation.
“We were shocked – it was new to us. I’ve never experienced anything like this.
“You can be sure that [if Dembele were to return] we’d tell him quite clearly that you can’t act like that and that his behaviour is damaging the team,” the 30-year old added.
Despite his harsh comments, the former Germany international did point out that Dembele’s behaviour could be as a result of his inexperience.
“What I know from my own experience is that I was not able to make every decision on my own when I was 20,” he said. “But it’s also clear that there are contracts and the club stands above everything.”
— Borussia Dortmund (@BVB) August 5, 2017