Shanghai claim quarter-final spot after goal-fest

Shanghai SIPG secured an AFC Champions League quarter-final berth after beating Jiangsu 3-2 in their second-leg clash on Wednesday, clinching a 5-3 aggregate win.

  • Jiangsu 2-3 Shanghai (5-3 agg)
  • Elkeson puts the visitors ahead
  • Own-goal from Xiaotian makes it 2-0
  • Jeong-Ho reduces the deficit for hosts
  • Xi levels matters in stoppage time
  • Hulk secures a 3-2 victory for Shanghai

Match Summary

The Red Eagles extended their aggregate lead thanks to an opening goal from Elkeson in the 34th minute, and took control of the encounter thanks to an own-goal from Yang Xiaotian just before the interval.

Jiangsu responded with their first goal in the 75th minute, when Hong Jeong-Ho found the back of the net, and levelled matters in stoppage time as Wu Xi scored their second. The drama continued into stoppage time as Hulk scored Shanghai’s third to give them a 5-3 aggregate victory.

Full Report 

Shanghai didn’t look like defending their advantage from the first leg. They started the game positively and forced a save from Zhang Sipeng when Odil Ahmedov tried his luck with a shot in the first minute.

Jiangsu then came close when Wu Xi’s shot from outside the box narrowly missed the Shanghai post after Ramires opened up the opportunity for his team-mate.

The deadlock was broken in the 34th minute when Elkeson drilled a shot into the far-bottom corner of the goal from an angle, after a well-weighted through-ball from Hulk put him in space.

Two minutes before the break, the tie was virtually over as the visitors netted their second goal. Yang Xiaotian mistakenly put the ball into the back of his own net to give Shanghai a 4-1 lead on aggregate.

Jiangsu didn’t throw in the towel, and came within inches of reducing the lead just past the hour mark. Ge Wei’s header hit the post after Li Ang picked him out from the set-piece.

The hosts were rewarded for their perseverance in the 75th minute as they scored their first goal of the second leg. Hong Jeong-ho headed home after Xie Pengfei whipped in the cross.

In stoppage time, Wu Xi drew Jiangsu Suning level 2-2 with a headed finish from a Xie Pengfei corner. However, Hulk responded seconds later to make it 3-2, handing the visitors a 5-3 aggregate win and a spot in the quarter-finals.