Thai League 1: Muangthong thrashed by Prachuap

thai league
Gabriel Tan Gabriel Tan

Thai League 1 giants Muangthong United were humbled on Sunday as they were thrashed 6-1 by newly-promoted PT Prachuap at the Sam Ao Stadium.

In a resounding first-half display, the hosts absolutely stunned their more-illustrious opponents by charging to a 4-0 lead at the break.

It took them 14 minutes to open the scoring when Adnan Orahovac met a corner at the back post and headed it back into the six-yard box, where Amorn Thammanarm was on hand to score with a diving header.

Nine minutes later, a horrible mix-up saw Muangthong centre-back Celio Santos play the ball beyond his own goalkeeper Kampol Pathom-attakul, leaving Chitpanya Tisud with an open goal to finish into.

Jonathan Ferreira Reis was next to get in on the act four minutes after the half-hour mark, skipping past a defender outside the box and unleashing a ferocious drive into the back of the net.

And, three minutes after, an exact carbon copy of the first goal saw Orahovac again guide a flick-on to Amorn who nodded home from point-blank range.

Muangthong managed to pull one back ten minutes into the second half, as Jaja Coelho glanced home a freekick from Heberty.

But, in the 65th minute, Prachuap restored their four-goal advantage as Lonsana Doumbouya converted from the penalty spot, after Wanchalerm Yingyong had been brought down inside the box by Thossawat Limwannasathian.

With six minutes remaining, the rout was completed when Doumbouya doubled his tally for the evening, outjumping Pathom at a corner to head home and cap off a miserable evening for the Kirins.

Over at the Singha Stadium, Chiangrai United snapped a three-game winless run as they beat Ratchaburi Mitr Phol 2-0.

Bajram Nebihi got the Beetles on their way in the 29th minute, when he latched onto Cleiton Silva’s layoff and fired away a shot that was deflected into the bottom corner.

Then, in the 70th minute, Nebihi struck again as he received possession from Cleiton and advanced on goal before squeezing his shot under Kittipong Phuthawchueak to seal the win.

Elsewhere on Sunday, Sukhothai’s perfect start to the new season was ended as they were beaten 2-1 by Nakhon Ratchasima, while Arthit Butjinda scored deep into injury-time to hand Port a 1-0 triumph over Ubon UMT United.