Nketiah brace spares Arsenal’s Blushes

Edward Nketiah, Arsenal, Wenger

A brace from Edward Nketiah, the second in extra-time, saw Arsenal come from behind to beat Norwich 2-1 at the Emirates Stadium on Tuesday to reach the EFL Cup quarter-finals.

Arsenal 2 Norwich City 1

  • Gunners denied penalty
  • Murphy gives Canaries shock lead
  • Nketiah restores parity late on
  • Teenager completes comeback win

Match Summary

The Championship outfit started the game slowly but grew in confidence and a moment of brilliance saw Josh Murphy chip past Matt Macey to open the scoring.

However, a late equaliser from Nketiah sent the match into extra time and the teenager rescued the Gunners as he rose to head home a corner after Angus Gunn denied Theo Walcott brilliantly.

Full Report

Despite Arsenal fielding a somewhat second-string team, they dominated a lot of the early possession but didn’t create much for the first 15 minutes., although five minutes later Gunn pulled out a fantastic save at close range to deny Rob Holding, who got on the end of Walcott’s corner.

Two minutes later, Jack Wilshere looked to pick out Olivier Giroud, but the Frenchman went down and immediately appealed for a penalty, but referee Andy Madley waved play on.

After enjoying a decent spell, the visitors upset the odds as the Arsenal defence was split open by a great ball from James Maddison which picked out Murphy. With just Macey to beat, the striker pulled out a delightful flick to beat the keeper and put the Canaries ahead.

They didn’t sit back and with five minutes to go in the half, Nelson Oliveira tried to curl an effort into the far corner, but a solid save from Macey managed to keep him.

Mario Vranic had a chance to double their lead midway through the second half as he got on the end of a good ball from Oliveira and cut back to free himself of two Arsenal defenders before shooting wide of the post from 10 yards out.

Just as the game looked lost, 18-year-old Nketiah stepped up to the plate as he ran straight from the bench into the box and finished a good move with an easy tap-in to level the scores with just five minutes left to force extra-time.

After six minutes of extra time, Gunn was called into action again, this time to deny Walcott. The resulting corner saw Nketiah leap high and head home to give Gunners the lead for the first time.

Arsene Wenger’s side looked to put the game to bed and Nketiah almost added the finishing touch to a sensational debut as he tried to curl an effort in from range, but it went wide.