Leicester shock Liverpool in League Cup

Leicester’s win over Liverpool was the pick of the bunch, Tottenham also progressed in Wednesday’s League Cup third round action.

Leicester City upped their game in the second half at the King Power Stadium to knock Liverpool out of the competition with a 2-0 win.

Philippe Coutinho starred in the first half for the Reds, as they dominated the Foxes without making a breakthrough, but was withdrawn at the start of the second half for young Welsh striker Ben Woodburn.

Having survived the first half, the Foxes regrouped during the break and were much better in the second half. Leonardo Ulloa had to be withdrawn with what appeared to be a head injury, and was replaced by Shinji Okazaki. Before long the Japan international had Leicester ahead, pouncing on a knock-down from Vincent Iborra.

In the 78th minute Leicester put it in the bag thanks to a stunning strike from Islam Slimani from the edge of the box after Okazaki picked him out.

Dele Alli did the business for Tottenham as the squeezed out a 1-0 win over Barnsley at Wembley.

Fernando Llorente missed the first chance of the match for Spurs when a corner picked him out with time and space to finish, but the Spaniard headed over.

The next two chances fell to Barnsley, with Harvey Barnes seeing an opening closed down quickly by Jan Vertonghen, before Liam Lindsay flicked on a corner towards the far post, where it flew just wide but just needed a touch. Halftime arrived without a goal.

Barnsley were again the more threatening side early in the second half, with Ike Ugbo firing a volley straight at Michel Vorm, before Tykes goalkeeper ADam Davies pulled off a save from Harry Winks at his near post.

Spurs were finally able to make the breakthrough 65 minutes in when Kieran Tripper got down the flank and whipped a low cross in for Dele Alli to tuck home the winner.

Swansea City did the business in the second half to record 2-0 win over Reading at the Madejski Stadium.

After a goalless first half the Swans drew first blood not long after the restart as defender Alfie Mawson got his head to a corner to flick the ball in at the near post, and Jordan Ayew finished them off with a neat finish in the 83rd minute.

Crystal Palace got the better of Huddersfield Town 1-0 at Selhurst Park. The Eagles made their early dominance count in the 12th minute when Bakary Sako was left unmarked to head in a corner from Andros Townsend.

West Ham United were always in control as they eased to 3-0 win over Bolton Wanderers at the London Stadium.

The Hammers got off to a flying start when Marko Arnautovic’s free kick picked out Angelo Ogbonna to head in from close range. Their lead was doubled half an hour in by Diafra Sakho, with Arnautovic again the provider. Artur Masuaku then wrapped it up in stoppage time.