Spurs pounce on Shelvey dismissal

A strong Newcastle performance was completely undermined by a moment of madness by Jonjo Shelvey as they were beaten 2-0 by Tottenham Hotspur at St James Park on Sunday.

  • Newcastle 0 Tottenham Hotspur 2
  • Dull first half
  • Shelvey sent off
  • Alli opens scoring
  • Davies adds the second

Match Summary

After a poor first half, entertainment-wise, the match was flipped on its head moments after the break when Shelvey was rightly sent off for stamping on Dele Alli.

Spurs made full use of their man-advantage, taking the lead through Alli in the 61st minute before Ben Davies completed the scoring nine minutes later.

Full Report

?Thoroughly deserved, lads! ?? #COYS #THFC

A post shared by Tottenham Hotspur (@spursofficial) on Aug 13, 2017 at 7:41am PDT

With not much to shout about for neutrals, Newcastle fans would've taken heart from their first half performance against Tottenham.

Much has been said about their struggles at the back in the Championship last season, but they genuinely had the London outfit looking out of sorts and out of ideas for the opening 45 minutes.

While not managing a single shot on target themselves, the Magpies limited the visitors to shots from range and none of them really threatened Rob Elliot's goal.

The Premier League fixture took on a completely different complextion after half time.

It all began with a late challenge from Alli on Shelvey three minutes into the second period, with the former being blown up for a foul. However, as the Newcastle man went to Alli to collect the ball, he appeared to stand on his ankle in full view of the referee and earned himself a red card.

Spurs immediately took the ascendacy and began peppering Newcastle's goal with chances and found the breakthough in the 61st minute.

A familiar pairing from last season, with Christian Eriksen lifting a lovely ball into the box for the onrushing Alli, who slid in a well-timed finish to put the visitors ahead.

Just nine minutes later, a marvelous passing move involving Mousa Dembele, Harry Kane and Eriksen saw the latter laying the ball off for Davies to lash the ball past Elliot and secure the 2-0 win for Tottenham.

Kane came agonisingly close to making it 3-0 in stoppage time, but saw his strike come crashing back off the post to continue his record of having never scored a Premier League goal in August.