Germany survive Australia fightback

Germany were made to work for their 3-2 win over Australia at the Fisht Olympic Stadium on Monday after initially dominating the Confederations Cup clash.

  • Australia 2 Germany 3
  • Stindl gives Germans early lead
  • Rogic equalises just before the break
  • Draxler penalty makes it 2-1 at HT
  • Goretzka scores early in second half
  • Juric pulls one back soon afterwards

Match Summary

Joachim Low's side bossed proceedings for the most part, especially in the first half, but poor finishing saw them take just a 2-1 lead into the break after opening the scoring in the fifth minute.

A third goal early in the second half appeared to kill off the contest, but the Australians gave a much better account of themselves after the restart and threatened to take a point off their more fancied opponents.

Full Report

?????? #ausger #confedcup #diemannschaft #sotschi #dfb

A post shared by Die Mannschaft (@dfb_team) on Jun 19, 2017 at 9:02am PDT

The Germans were on the front foot from the get-go as they put Ange Postecoglou's troops under early pressure.

The Socceroos were the architects of their own downfall in the end and they were torn apart after just five minutes. Julian Brandt got away down the right and sent in a cross to the near post , where Lars Stindl fired home a first-time shot from 12 yards out.

The world champions continued to create chance after chance as Australia struggled to string more than a couple of passes together, and Leon Goretzka connected with a 15th-minute free-kick from the left, but steered his header high and wide of the right post.

Sandro Wagner should have doubled their lead moments later after getting on the end of Goretzka's cross from the right, but his diving header from just six yards out went wide of the left post, while Sebastian Rudy blazed over from distance in the 18th minute after the Australians battled to clear their lines.

Mathew Ryan was called into action for the first time on 21 minutes when his defence was ripped to shreds again as Joshua Kimmich played in Brandt on the right, and despite slipping, he recovered well to cut inside on his left foot and force a fine save out of the keeper at the near post.

Wagner wasted another glorious opportunity two minutes later after being played through on goal by Julian Draxler, but he dragged a left-footed shot wide of the right post from inside the box.

Ryan then denied Brandt on 27 minutes after a corner had been played short to him outside the area, with the keeper parrying his curling effort away at the right post, while Draxler missed the target five minutes later after playing a one-two with Goretzka.

The Asian champions finally got a sniff at goal from a free-kick on the left that made its way into the penalty area, but Trent Sainsbury directed his header on the bounce wide of the left post from seven yards out.

They finished the half strongly after barely holding on for the opening 37 minutes, and Tomas Rogic grabbed a fortuitous equaliser in the 41st minute following a sustained spell of pressure.

The Celtic midfielder found space outside the area after a neat turn and cannoned a shot off Shkodran Mustafi's back before firing under the body of Bernd Leno on the rebound.

However, parity lasted just three minutes as Massimo Luongo went in on Goretzka from behind inside the box to concede a penalty, which was coolly converted by Draxler.

Germany started the second half as they did the first, taking just three minutes to find the back of the net again, with Goretzka latching onto a ball over the top from Kimmich and firing past Ryan from inside the area.

But the Socceroos settled down quickly this time around and played with more purpose following the introduction of Robbie Kruse.

A free-kick in a dangerous position led to them reducing the deficit in the 56th minute when the ball fell to Rogic outside the area and his strike took a deflection off Tomi Juric, who reacted fastest to tap home the rebound after Leno spilled the shot.

James Troisi also looked lively for the Australians after being brought off the bench, and he tested Leno with a curling effort on 73 minutes, before the woodwork came to their rescue two minutes later when Timo Werner twisted and turned inside the box before firing against the left post.

The Germans were holding on in the closing stages as Leno got down well to keep out Kruse after Juric displayed good strength to retain possession inside the area before teeing the forward up.