Daniele De Rossi says he is delighted to extend his stay at Roma after signing a new contract that ties the midfielder to his boyhood club until 2019.
The 33-year-old, who has in the past resisted moves to England, has continued to be ever present for the Giallorossi – amassing 561 appearances since making his debut back during the 2001/02 season.
De Rossi mentioned that the new deal was confirmed before the campaign ended, but he did not want it to interfere with Francesco Totti's farewell.
"It was already in the air and we've been discussing it for a while, especially in the last month," De Rossi told the club's official website. "Today was the best day for it seeing as we're all going away later.
"I signed it today but it's been done for a few days. I requested that it wasn't mentioned on Sunday because that was a day dedicated to another person [Francesco Totti], to another player, to a story that was coming to an end – although it will never really end.
"We wanted it to be announced afterwards or in advance. The agreement was already there but we signed it today because people have to head off and I'm going away on international duty."
De Rossi added that with Totti leaving Stadio Olimpico, it would have been difficult for the fans if he departed as well.
"Part of my thinking was that after Francesco, it would have been a big blow for fans to lose the other symbol of Romanismo," he acknowledged.
"There's Alessandro [Florenzi] too but he has many years to show his love for the club. I think losing two stalwarts at once would have been less than the fans deserved."