Ulsan Hyundai edge Brisbane Roar

Ulsan Hyundai claimed a 3-2 win over Brisbane Roar FC in their final 2017 AFC Champions League Group E match on Wednesday.

  • Brisbane Roar 2 Ulsan Hyundai 3
  • Young with an own-goal on nine minutes
  • Maclaren levels on 18 minutes
  • Maclaren adds a second on 37 minutes
  • Nam Hee-Cheol equalises on 54 minutes
  • Kim Yong-Jin fires in 75th minute winner

Match summary

Ulsan had already been eliminated from progressing to the knockout round of 16 of the competition following their penultimate round of matches.

Brisbane's fate was sealed following this loss as well as Kashima Antlers 2-1 win over Muang Thong United, also on Wednesday.

Onto the match, and Jamie Young got the scoring underway with an own-goal on nine minutes before Jamie Maclaren turned the tie on its head with goals on 18 and 37 minutes.

But Nam Hee-Cheol levelled for the visitors at the Suncorp Stadium on 54 minutes before Kim Yong-Jin secured all three points with his goal on 75 minutes.

Full report

Following a fast-paced start to this game, it was Lee Ki-Je with the first half-chance of the tie, with a shot he skewed just wide of the target following a corner.

Dimitri Petratos then smashed a shot against the left-hand post from a well-hit free kick from outside the box as the Roar found themselves pegged back early on.

And the pressure would tell as Young inadvertently directed the ball into this own net.

Thomas Kristensen forced Ulsan goalkeeper Soo-Hyuk Cho into a good low save as they looked for a response.

There were chances at both ends as first Ivan Kovacec shot over the target before Maclaren fired just wide, but it was the hosts to score next as Maclaren made no mistake in the 18th minute to power home the equaliser.

The tie remained open and could have swung either way, but Maclaren soon added to his tally, on 37 minutes, as he raced onto a Brandon Borrello through ball before slotting home.

Brett Holman hit a post as the hosts looked to end the half the stronger of the two sides, while their visitors came out for the second period the more determined side, as they levelled the score, this time, with 54 minutes played, through Nam Hee-Cheol.

Kovacec failed to add a third with his late effort as Nicholas D'Agostino's header, as he latched onto a Borrello cross, was just wide of the goal.

The tempo of the match had dulled slightly but Kim Do-hoon's side's sharpness in front of goal had not, as Kim Yong-Jin scored what proved to the be the last goal of the game, on 75 minutes, with the player connecting to a Lee Yeong-Jae cross following a set piece.