Liverpool held by battling Saints

Liverpool were frustrated by Southampton in a fiercely-contested Premier League clash at Anfield on Sunday afternoon that ended goalless after James Milner missed a second half penalty.

  • Liverpool dominate first half possession
  • Forster denies Lallana, Sturridge, Coutinho and Grujic
  • Milner sees 63rd minute penalty saved

Match summary

Neither side was able to break the deadlock in this tense affair, with Milner failing to earn his side a much-needed three points when he missed from the penalty spot.

Full report

It ends goalless.

A post shared by Liverpool Football Club (@liverpoolfc) on May 7, 2017 at 7:30am PDT

Jürgen Klopp’s touchline antics throughout the game showed just how frustrating this match was for the home side. After failing pick up all three points against Claude Puel's charges, Liverpool now face the serious threat of finishing outside of the top four this season. 

The Reds had 65 percent possession and eight attempts on target while Southampton had none. Puel's side largely parked a bus of at least ten Southampton players in their own half for a large periods of the match. 

Liverpool failed to find passes of any real quality to unlock the away side, and were forced into speculative shots out of pure frustration. The Reds were also seemingly lazy when counter attack opportunities presented themselves. 

The game opened up ever so slightly in the second half, when in the 63rd minute, a cross from Lucas Leiva struck Jack Stephens on the arm and Liverpool were awarded a debatable penalty. 

Fraser Forster's gamesmanship and whispered words in Milner’s ear appeared to work, as he saved the effort with a strong right arm to the bottom left corner of the goal.

This was the final straw for Klopp, who reacted by bringing on Daniel Sturridge and Adam Lallana to try and find a desperately needed goal. 

Southampton also started to attack late on, with substitute Nathan Redmond looking dangerous down the left flank. 

Other than the penalty and a few tame efforts from Lallana, Sturridge and Coutinho, Liverpool’s best chance came in extra time. A cross was headed in dangerously at goal by substitute Marko Grujic, but Forster impressively tipped the ball away over the crossbar to secure his side a well earned point.