Gamba draw with Adelaide in thriller

Gamba Osaka lead twice in their vital AFC Champions League Group H encounter with Adelaide United on Tuesday but allowed the Australian outfit to fight back and earn a crucial 3-3 draw.

This result could well be the defining moment in Group H.

Heading into the match, Adelaide were second in the group with four points while Gamba only had three points.

After a bright start, Gamba raced into a two-goal advantage in front of their fanatic Japanese supporters at a vibrant ‎Suita City Football Stadium.

In the sixth minute Shun Nagasawa got on the end of a quite majestic delivery from the evergreen Yasuhito Endō to put his team one goal up.

Just six minutes later and Gamba were at again. This time it was Masaaki Ideguchi who claimed the assist as the prodigious talent that is Ritsu Doan netted a stunner.

The game then meandered slowly towards half-time.

In a massive moment just seconds before the whistle was due to sound, Adelaide got themselves back in the game courtesy of Sergio Cirio who made the most of some clumsy defending from Kim Jung-Ya.

Ten minutes after half-time and Adelaide’s comeback was right on track when teenage sensation Jordan O’Doherty struck from distance.

In the 58th minute Endo missed a penalty. A player of his calibre and experience should really have done better.

With Gamba stunned, the game opened up completely and the next goal seemed likely to come from either side.

In the 77th minute disaster struck for Adelaide when Michael Marrone found the back of his own net.

The points seemed to be wrapped up for Gamba as regulation time concluded however Adelaide, in the knowledge that their campaign was on the line, kept fighting and were rewarded for their spirit when Baba Diawara leapt and headed home with basically the last movement of the match.

Shortly after, the final whistle sounded and the spoils were shared.

It was a hugely entertaining encounter. Adelaide will feel like they won a point while Gamba will feel like they lost two points.