Citizens too good for Saints at St Mary’s

AFC U-23 Championship Qualifiers: Indonesia announce provisional 24-man squad

Manchester City moved up to third in the Premier League standings after claiming a 3-0 victory over Southampton at St Mary's on Saturday night.

  • Southampton 0 Manchester City 3
  • City denied penalty in first half
  • Kompany breaks deadlock after break
  • Sane doubles City's lead shortly after
  • Aguero seals win late on

Match Summary

After the first half finished goalless, City finally got their noses in front through Vincent Kompany's header from a David Silva corner.

Leroy Sane added a second goal after a neat ball from Kevin de Bruyne, who also played in Sergio Aguero for the visitors' third of the evening.

Full Report

The Citizens had the first meaningful attack when Aguero was found in space inside the Saints box in the third minute after a fine cross from Gael Clichy, but the Argentine's acrobatic effort flew wide.

Moments later, Aguero was in the thick of things again, but once again the striker's shot failed to trouble Fraser Forster in the home goal.

As was expected, Pep Guardiola's side dominated possession with Saints playing on the counter-attack. From one such counter 15 minutes in, the hosts nearly broke the deadlock when Nathan Redmond beat his marker on the left flank and found Manolo Gabbiadini, who in turn played in Dusan Tadic, but the Serbian's wayward effort flew over the crossbar.

While City continued to have the majority of the ball, they often struggled to find the killer pass and Saints continued to look threatening on the counter.

Sane, Aguero and Silva all had efforts on goal, and with half-time approaching, City thought they were about to break the deadlock. With five minutes left in the half, Sane was through on goal after skipping past the Saints defence, and after rounding Forster with the goal gaping, the German appeared to be brought down by the keeper.

No spot-kick was awarded, though, with Forster adjudged to have gotten a touch on the ball, and from the ensuing corner Yaya Toure headed wide.

After the break, the same theme continued, with the visitors camped in the Saints half while the hosts try to play on the counter-attack.

In the 55th minute, though, City's persistence finally bore fruit, albeit from a somewhat unlikely source. A corner taken by Silva met the head of Kompany, who outmuscled Ryan Bertrand to score his first goal since August 2015.

Maya Yoshida went close for Saints with 20 minutes left, but the Japanese defender's header went straight to Claudio Bravo in the CIty goal.

With 13 minutes left, Sane was at it again and after being played in by De Bruyne, and this time Forster was left for dead as the winger's pin-point shot flew into the bottom-left corner of the net.

Nine minutes from time Aguero got the goal he had threatened in the first half. Again De Bruyne was at the centre of it, with the Belgian's cross into the box finding Aguero, who made no mistake with his header from close range.

The result sees City move up to third, one point ahead of Liverpool.