Palace end 38-year wait for home win over Arsenal

Crystal Palace beat Arsenal at Selhurst Park for the first time in 38 years as they claimed the derby spoils with a convincing 3-0 win on Monday.

  • Crystal Palace 3 Arsenal 0
  • Townsend fires Eagles ahead
  • Cabaye scores impressive second
  • Milivojevic penalty wraps up victory

Match Summary

Arsene Wenger's side were second-best throughout as the Eagles showed more determination and spirit to record a rare home victory over their neighbours.

Andros Townsend opened the scoring after 17 minutes and Yohan Cabaye doubled their advantage in the 63rd minute before Luka Milivojevic sealed a vital three points for Sam Allardyce's team in their battle to avoid the drop.

Full Report

The visitors had the lion's share of possession in the first half but struggled to get into their stride, and it was Palace who looked more dangerous.

Wenger's men did threaten to break the deadlock in the ninth minute with a long-range shot from Mohamed Elneny that Wayne Hennessey tipped over the crossbar. but the hosts had made a confident start and took the lead on 17 minutes.

Cabaye took possession in the middle and released Wilfried Zaha on the right and the winger zipped in a low cross for Townsend to convert from six yards out.

Hennessey had a more routine save to make in the 21st minute as Alexis Sanchez hit a snap-shot from just inside the area, while the Chilean forward directed an angled shot wide of the right post three minutes later after getting on the end of Nacho Monreal's cut-back.

Emiliano Martinez kept the north Londoners in the match with a fine save at his near post three minutes before the break as Christian Benteke got off a shot on the angle after being played in by Zaha on the left,

But the Gunners had two chances in the final stages of the first half, with Danny Welbeck shooting just wide of the left post with an angled drive on the right after he latched onto Granit Xhaka's weighted pass over the top, while Gabriel climbed highest at a corner to test Hennessey with a header.

Martinez was called into action again five minutes after the restart with a sharp save to deny Townsend from 14 yards out and Benteke slotted home the rebound from close range, but the offside flag went up against the Belgian striker.

Jason Puncheon directed a near-post header at the keeper from a corner four minutes later as Palace continued to carve out good chances.

The pressure paid off on 63 minutes as Cabaye extended their lead with a well-taken strike on the right that curled into the top-left corner of the net, after Zaha had cut the ball back to the Frenchman.

Arsenal's woes were compounded five minutes later when Martinez brought down Townsend for a penalty as the England winger beat Hector Bellerin to the ball, with Milivojevic firing his spot-kick into the bottom-left corner of the goal in clinical fashion.

The Gunners almost pulled one back on 72 minutes when Bellerin delivered an inviting cross from the right that was hacked away at the back post by Martin Kelly with Olivier Giroud lurking.

But Benteke went close to a fourth for the Eagles four minutes from time as he connected with Townsend's cross, but Monreal was well placed to block his volley.