Gunners and City share the spoils

Arsenal had to come from behind twice to secure a 2-2 draw against Manchester City in their Premier League clash at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday.

  • Arsenal 2 Manchester City 2
  • Sane nets early opener
  • Walcott grabs equaliser
  • Aguero puts City ahead
  • Mustafi replies with header

Match Summary

Leroy Sane opened the scoring after just five minutes to shock the home fans, but Theo Walcott managed to bundle home an equaliser five minutes before the break.

The Gunners' joy was short-lived, though, when Sergio Aguero putting City ahead again just two minutes later.

Shkodran Mustafi managed to draw the hosts level again after 53 minutes, and neither team was able to find a winner in a thrilling encounter.

Full Report

Amidst all the gloom surrounding Arsenal with the uncertainty of manager Arsene Wenger's long-term future, the shaky start didn't do much to ease the atmosphere.

Sane capitalise on the Gunners' high line of defence, fending off Hector Bellerin and rounding goalkeeper David Ospina before tapping home into an empty net.

Kevin De Bruyne then hit the post five minutes later as the Citizens threatened to take the game away from Wenger's men.

However, the Londoners went on to enjoy a good spell of possession and clawed their way back in the reckoning in the 40th minute with an uncharacteristically scrappy goal.

Walcott poked home Mustafi long ball into the area, after sneaking ahead of Gael Clichy and getting to the ball before goalkeeper Willy Cabellero.

The lead lasted a total of two minutes, as Aguero put Pep Guardiola's side ahead for the second time in the fixture.

Yet another lapse of concentration from the Arsenal back-four went punished as they failed to clear their lines. A barrage of attacks culminated with Aguero finding the ball at his feet at the far post and his shot from an acute angle beat Ospina.

In the second half Arsenal looked motivated to get back into the game, and eight minutes in, Mustafi headed home a Mesut Ozil corner after he rose above Nicolas Otamendi at the near post.

After equalising, first-half goalscorers Walcott and Sane both had chances in quick succession but failed to make them count and despite a frantic final period of end-to-end football, there were no further goals.