Debutant Keane flattered by interest

Michael Keane insists he remains fully focused on Burnley despite reported interest for his services from a number of top Premier League clubs.

The 24-year-old made his debut for England in the 1-0 loss to Germany on Wednesday night, where he started alongside Chris Smalling and Gary Cahill in a new three-man back line for the Three Lions.

A former Manchester United defender, who only left the club in 2015 after a number of loan spells, at Leicester, Derby and Blackburn, Keane's performances for Burnley this season have turned the head of his former team as well as Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City.

After his national debut, Keane said: "It's flattering to see, but I'm focused on Burnley. We've got nine games left in the season and we need to make sure we remain in the league.

"But to see things like that can only mean you're playing well."

On his exit from United, having been sold by Louis van Gaal, he added: "I always thought, personally, that I was going to make it at United. A few changes in managers didn't help, so when I left, I felt like I had a point to prove.

"If anything [leaving United] made me work that bit harder. I'm thankful to [manager] Sean Dyche at Burnley for the work he's done with me and the faith he's put in me – that's what has got me to where I am today."

And on his England performance, he said: "It's a dream come true on a personal level. I've been striving to get here for the last year or two, having come through the Under-21s. So to finally do it, on a stage like this against the world champions is a dream come true for me personally."

Comments