Five-star Diamonds hammer Seoul

Urawa Red Diamonds cemented their place at the top of Group F in the 2017 AFC Champions League group stage with a comprehensive 5-2 defeat over FC Seoul on Tuesday.

  • Urawa Red Diamonds 5 FC Seoul 2
  • Muto on target on nine minutes in
  • Lee adds a second on 11 minutes
  • Park pulls a goal back on 14 minutes
  • Sekine scores a third for the Reds on 15 minutes
  • Ugajin makes it four with just 21 minutes played
  • Komai adds a fifth on 45 minutes
  • Damjanovic scores a 92nd minute consolation

Match summary

Yuki Muto opened the scoring for the hosts at the Saitama Stadium 2002 on nine minutes before Tadanari Lee added a second two minutes later.

Park Chu-Young then pulled a goal back for his side a further three minutes later in this entertaining tie, ahead of a third from the Reds, as Takahiro Sekine secured an immediate response with 15 minutes played.

Tomoya Ugajin gave his side room to breathe when he scored a fourth goal for Mihailo Petrovic's side after 21 minutes as Yoshiaki Komai made it five in first-half stoppage time.

There was only one goal scored after the break, by Seoul's Dejan Damjanovic, two minutes into stoppage time.

Full report

After a number of fouls and free-kicks punctuated the opening moments, the Reds, who defeated Western Sydney Wanderers 4-0 in their opening group clash, took an early lead as Muto headed home a Shinzo Koroki cross.

And before Seoul knew what hit them, they were two goals down as Lee placed a superbly hit left-footed into the top right corner of the net, having latched onto a pass from Sekine.

The visitors, though were immediately back in this tie when Park smashed home from a free kick past Shusaku Nishikawa and into the bottom left corner of his goal.

Seoul's joy was short-lived though as Sekine was allowed to pick up a Muto pass on the edge of the box a minute later before finding space and time to pick his spot.

The Reds may have been through for a fourth goal, but Shinzo Koroki was adjudged to have been offside as he raced onto a Ugajin through ball, while Yun Il-Lok fired his 16th minute shot just wide as Seoul looked to reduce the early deficit.

Ko Yo-Han was next to try his luck with an ambitious effort from range, but it was the dominant Urawa Red Diamonds who were to score again, this time as Ugajin placed his effort past the keeper and into the bottom-right corner of the net.

Osmar Barba and Kwak Tae-hwi both had half chances while Kim Chi-Woo fired wide as Lee Sang-ho smashed his effort well over the goal.

And just as it appeared as if Seoul were ending the half the half the stronger of the two sides, Yoshiaki Komai popped up with a well-taken fifth goal on the stroke of half-time.

If Seoul were hoping for an easier second half, the signs from the off weren't good as Ugajin rifled a 47th minute shot against the crossbar.

Sekine then saw his shot saved as Barba and Yun both had shots blocked by a determined Reds' defence moments later.

Yun then fired over on 51 minutes ahead of a missed attempt from Shinzo Koroki on the edge of the six-yard area.

The second half was by no means played at the same intensity as the first, but there were still a number of chances, as Ugajin fired wide on 62 minutes before Park saw his 66th minutes header from the left saved as it headed for the bottom corner of the goal.

Rafael Silva came close to extending his side's lead late on, but it was Seoul with a late goal, in the second minute of injury time, scored by Dejan Damjanovic with a rocket into the top right corner.