Dominant Juve see off 10-man Porto

Juventus took control of their Champions League last-16 tie as they beat 10-man FC Porto 2-0 in the first leg at Estadio do Dragao on Wednesday.

  • FC Porto 0 Juventus 2
  • Bianconeri boss proceedings
  • Telles sent off in first half
  • Pjaca fires visitors in front
  • Alves scores quick-fire second

Match Summary

Massimiliano Allegri's side were allowed to dictate play throughout and they were handed a massive boost when Alex Telles was sent off after 27 minutes for two bookable offences.

The Dragons held on until half-time, but Juve finally breached their goal on 72 minutes with the opener from Marko Pjaca and fellow substitute Dani Alves struck again two minutes later to put the Italian giants firmly in the driving seat.

Full Report

The hosts offered very little going forward as they had to defend wave upon wave of attacks from Juve. Their only chance in the first half saw Ruben Neves miss the target with his shot in the eighth minute.

Sami Khedira made a strong run from the left after 14 minutes and looked to cut the ball back for Gonzalo Higuain, but his pass rebounded to Alex Sandro, who blazed over from outside the area.

Paulo Dybala was presented with an opportunity on 23 minutes when Khedira's dink over the top was flicked on by Higuain, but he fired over on the stretch.

The Dragons' task became that much more difficult with the dismissal of Telles after 27 minutes, the defender picking up his second yellow card in the space of minutes, this time for a sliding challenge from behind on Stephan Lichtsteiner.

Juan Cuadrado looked to make the extra man count immediately as he flashed a shot inches wide of the left post from 22 yards out after receiving the ball from a free-kick on the right.

Iker Casillas was called into action for the first time on 33 minutes as he gathered Miralem Pjanic's low strike at the second attempt, before Khedira steered a header wide from eight yards out following a fine cross from Alex Sandro on the left.

Casillas pulled off a superb reaction save to deny Higuain in the 39th minute after the Argentine's shot took a wicked deflection off Felipe, while the keeper was beaten by Dybala's venomous effort from 22 yards out in first-half stoppage time but the right post came to his rescue.

The Bianconeri continued to assert their dominance in the second half and thought they had taken the lead in the 46th minute when Dybala lashed Pjanic's flicked pass into the top-left corner from a tight angle, but the goal was ruled out for offside.

Nuno Espirito Santo's men went close at the other end two minutes later as Miguel Layun sent in a dangerous cross from the left, but Hector Herrera directed his header at the back post to the right of the goal.

A flurry of chances then came the way of Juve, with Khedira skying an effort well over the crossbar from outside the box, before Dybala found space for a shot from 22 yards out on the right that went straight to Casillas.

Khedira was a fraction away from breaking the deadlock on the hour mark with a volley from range that missed to the left of goal after a cross was cleared into his path, while Higuain fired just wide of the right post six minutes later after being played in by Dybala.

But they finally found the breakthrough on 72 minutes with a stroke of luck as Layun deflected Dybala's pass into the path of Pjaca, who drilled his shot into the bottom-left corner from 14 yards out.

The game was dead and buried two minutes later when Alves doubled Juve's lead, the substitute chesting down Alex Sandro's cross before guiding his half-volley into the far corner.

Khedira almost added a third in the closing stages as he latched onto Pjaca's through-ball on the right, but the German was unable to find the back of the net on the slide.