Freiburg battle back to draw with Hamburg

Hamburger SV twice surrendered the lead as they were made to settle for a 2-2 draw with SC Freiburg at Volksparkstadion on Saturday night.

The hosts took a 15th-minute lead through Aaron Hunt, but they were pegged back just eight minutes later with an equaliser from Maximilian Philipp.

Michael Gregoritsch then put Markus Gisdol’s side back in front early in the second half, only for Vincenzo Grifo to level matters again 18 minutes from time.

The woodwork came to HSV’s rescue after just six minutes when Nils Petersen struck the right post from a tight angle on the right, but they drew first blood on the quarter-hour mark as Lewis Holtby set up Hunt to slot home from inside the six-yard box on the left.

However, their lead lasted just eight minutes as Petersen picked out Philipp inside the box, and the midfielder picked out the bottom-left corner with his left foot.

The equaliser gave Christian Streich’s men confidence and they created further opportunities before half-time, with Marc Torrejon seeing his 29th-minute header saved by Rene Adler, while Amir Abrashi lashed a shot over the crossbar moments later from inside the area.

Alexander Schwolow prevented the visitors from going into the break 2-1 down when he kept out Dennis Diekmeier’s header from a Holtby cross in stoppage time.

The Breisgau-Brasilianer made a better start in the second half, with Janik Haberer going within a whisker of scoring from range as his shot sailed just wide of the left post on 48 minutes before numerous efforts were blocked.

Instead it was Die Rothosen who scored next when Gotoku Sakai squared the ball for Gregoritsch to net from close range.

Petersen almost found a swift response with a header that missed to the left of the goal from Haberer’s cross on the hour mark, but they did manage to battle back again to earn a share of the spoils as Petersen turned provider again to set up Grifo, who fired into the bottom-right corner of the goal from inside the area.