Jesus at the double for City

Gabriel Jesus justified his selection with both goals as Manchester City defeated Swansea City 2-1 at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

  • Jesus taps home on 11 minutes
  • Sigurdsson equalises on 81 minutes
  • Jesus scores the winner in stoppage time

Match summary

Jesus a marvel to watch and was on hand to score from close range to give City an important first-half lead early on in the tie.

A resurgent Swansea though emerged for the second period and Gylfi Sigurdsson took his 81st minute goal well, only for Jesus to pop up in injury time with the winner.

Full report

He wins it! Gabriel Jesus grabs a late goal to get City the win 2-1! #mcfc #mancity #manchestercity

A photo posted by Manchester City (@mancity) on

Manchester City were, as expected, dominant from the off, as Leroy Sane dispossessed Kyle Naughton on the left flank after just three minutes before looking to feed Jesus, but with his first attempt of the tie, he failed to keep his effort on target.

But it took just 11 minutes for the new man to net his second City goal, as he responded quickest to a loose ball in the box after David Silva jinked into the area and looked to pick out Raheem Sterling, only for the ball to fall kindly to the Brazilian, who made no mistake from close range.

Despite conceding early on, Swansea remained happy to sit back in defence, making it tricky for City to penetrate. And it needed a free-kick from Yaya Toure from 35 yards for the hosts to threaten again. The Ivorian curled a superb effort towards the top left corner of the net, forcing Lukasz Fabianski to tip the ball over the bar.

Federico Fernandez was then well placed to cut out a Sterling delivery from the right channel towards the near post with Jesus on the run, ahead of some good interplay from Kevin De Bruyne and Silva that ended with the Belgian seeing his 31st minute strike well blocked.

City continued to stretch Swansea with their attacks down the flanks through Sane and De Bruyne but amazingly the visiting side were able to see out the remainder of the half without conceding a second.

A slightly more ambitious Swansea emerged for the second half and were so nearly back in this tie after three minutes when Sigurdsson appeared to catch Willy Caballero napping from a free-kick.

The midfielder curled an excellent effort towards the top left corner but the City stopper managed to knock the ball against the left post before completing the save.

Fabianski was then almost beaten by a Sane cross that hit his left post after picking up a De Bruyne pass before Jack Cork made an important interception to deny the Belgian from releasing a shot from the edge of the box.

Swansea were growing in confidence as the match wore on and Alfie Mawson got on the end of a Sigurdsson corner on 62 minutes but headed inches wide of the target.

Swans boss Paul Clement made a positive change as he introduced Luciano Narsingh for Wayne Routledge as he sensed the game swinging in his side's favour, but within two minutes they were almost two goals down.

Mawson though made another vital block to deny Silva who had picked up an excellent flick on from Jesus.

City boss Pep Guardiola introduced Javier Zabaleta for De Bruyne as he looked content to see out the remainder of the tie, and was shocked to see Sigurdsson fire in an equaliser just two minutes later.

Narsingh fed the Icelandic midfielder, who drilled a left-footed shot past an unsighted Caballero and into the back of the net.

Sergio Aguero made his introduction for Sterling after the goal, with Guardiola desperate to claim the win, but it was the teenager Jesus who was to be the hero again for City as he tapped home the winner in the 92nd minute.

Jesus got up well to a Silva delivery, and while Fabianski made the initial save, the ball fell to the new signing who had a simple tap-in on the goalline.