Hammers fight back to hit three past Saints

Southampton were condemned to their 11th defeat of the season going down 3-1 to West Ham in their Premier League clash at St Mary's Stadium on Saturday.

  • Southampton 1 West Ham 3
  • Gabbiadini nets debut goal
  • Carrol levels the scoring
  • Obiang puts Hammers ahead
  • Noble forces third past Forster

Match summary

Manolo Gabbiadini scored the opening goal of the game for the home side before West Ham fought back valiantly through Andy Carroll and Pedro Obiang, taking a slender 2-1 lead at the break.

Mark Noble made it 3-1 as his free-kick was deflected into the net by Steve Davis.

Full report

It took the Saints just 10 minutes into the encounter to break the deadlock, and it was broken in emphatic fashion through the club's latest £14m signing Gabbiadini.

On his debut for the club, the Italy international striker broke the off-side line before smashing an unstoppable shot into the roof of West Ham goalkeeper Darren Randolph's net.

The lead only lasted a couple of minutes before in-form Andy Carroll equalised to grab his fourth goal in as many games.

Carroll did well to hold his run before Pedro Obiang slipped in a perfectly-timed ball into his path and the towering centre-forward made no mistake with his finish – calmly slotting the ball past Fraser Forster.

It seemed as if they two sides would go into break level-pegging put Obiang popped up with his first goal for the club in his 55th appearance on the stroke of half-time.

His grass cutter from 25-yards out took two deflections off the shins of Saints defenders in the crowded penalty area after they failed to clear a corner before nestling into the bottom left corner of Randolph's net.

Seven minutes into the second-half, Slaven Bilic's side extended their lead when captain Mark Noble's free-kick was deflected by Steven Davis past Forster,

Claude Puel's side looked to find a way back after falling behind, but found Randolph in supreme form on the day as the Ireland international denied midfielder James Ward-Prowse and Davis in quick succession.

With 13 minutes left they home side were growing desperate and Maya Yohsida's volley went inches over the bar.

The 3-1 result sees West Ham move up into ninth while the home side drop to 13th as their terrible league form continues under Puel since the turn of the year.