Hornets sting 10-man Burnley

Watford took full advantage of their man-advantage against Burnley, claiming a comfortable 2-1 win at Vicarage Road in the Premier League on Saturday.

  • Watford 2 Burnley 0
  • Hendrick sent off early
  • Deeney opens scoring
  • Niang secures the win
  • Barnes pulls one back

Match Summary

Burnley found themselves on the back foot very early on when Jeff Hendrick was shown a straight red card high tackle Jose Holebas just six minutes in.

Less than four minutes later Troy Deeney gave Watford the lead with M'Baye Niang adding the second on the stroke of half time.

Things got a bit nervy for the hosts towards the end, with Burnley winning a penalty with 10 minutes left on the clock, which Ashley Barnes converted, but it proved to be nothing more than a consolation goal.

Full Report

With only one point separating the sides at kick off, both teams would have looked to this fixture as a potential three-pointer, but the Clarets hopes of taking something from the match got more complicated when Hendrick was rightly sent off for an horrendous challenge in the sixth minute.

Four minutes later, Troy Deeney put his side ahead as he rose highest to head home a Niang cross to compound Burnley's woes.

Burnley's best chance of the first half came around the half hour mark with Joey Barton blasting the ball toward the top corner from around the penalty spot, but he was denied by a world-class save from Heurelho Gomes.

Niang had a fantastic game and deservedly got himself on the scoresheet seconds before the half time whistle, latching on to a Jose Holebas cross and powering his header past Tom Heaton to make it 2-0.

Fantastic ?? Goals from @mbaye_niang11 & @t_deeney have #watfordfc 2-0 ahead at the break!

A photo posted by Watford FC (@watfordfcofficial) on

Action was rare after the break as Watford sat back on their lead, but Deeney was denied by a stunning save from Heaton with around 15 minutes left on the clock.

The tie was thrown on its head on 78 minutes when the Clarets were awarded a penalty after a foul by Sebastian Prodl, which Barnes coolly slotted to give his side a lifeline.

Unfortunately, that's all it proved to be as Watford clung on for a well-deserved 2-1 win.