Vokes nets controversial winner against Foxes

Burnley kept up their strong record at home when Sam Vokes' controversial late strike handed struggling champions Leicester City a 1-0 defeat in Tuesday's Premier League encounter at Turf Moor.

  • Burnley 1 Leicester City 0
  • Barnes goes close
  • Burnley's penalty appeal gets turned down
  • Mee heads inches over
  • Vokes pokes home controversial late winner

Match summary

Burnley were on top for large parts of the match with Andre Gray, Ashley Barnes and Jeff Hendrick all having efforts on the goal.

Ben Mee headed just inches over in the second half as City struggled to create chances. The game was won by a controversial strike from Sam Vokes in the 87th minute after he appeared to handle the ball.

Full Report

In wet conditions at Turf Moor, Burnley came out of the blocks quickly and Ashley Barnes was unlucky to see his shot go just wide in the 11th minute after a good flick on from Andre Gray.

Six minutes later Barnes had another chance when Michael Keane flicked on a free kick but the forward failed to control the ball and a good shooting chance was gone.

Gray then broke into the box in the 22nd minute but his shot went into the side-netting. City had their first dangerous moment soon after when Matthew Lowton's poor back pass was pounced on by Jamie Vardy, although he fired across the goal and out for a throw in.

Demarai Gray and Danny Drinkwater then later tested Tom Heaton with strikes from distance though the keeper saved comfortably on both occasions. Burnley then had a shout for a penalty turned down in the 39th minute when Jeff Hendrick's cross was heading to Keane who appeared to be shoved by Drinkwater.

Just before the break, Wes Morgan missed a free header for City from eight yards out from Marc Albrighton's cross. After the interval, Burnley again had the momentum and Andre Gray forced Kasper Schmeichel into a good save low down.

In the 70th minute City were fortunate to escape after a flurry of chances fell to the home team. Gray, Keane and Hendrick all saw efforts well blocked by the visiting defence. The chances were all going Burnley's way as in the 72nd minute Ben Mee headed just inches over.

Not long after in the 79th minute Gray forced a good save from a narrow angle from Schmeichel. However, the Clarets grabbed a controversial late winner when Vokes appeared to control the ball in the small box with his hand, before poking the ball home in the 87th minute.