Brave Hull fall just short against United

Hull City beat Manchester United 2-1 in the League Cup semi-final second leg at KC Stadium, but it was not enough to overturn a 2-0 loss in the first leg as the Red Devils advance to the final.

  • Hull City (2) 2-1 (3) Manchester United
  • Huddlestone opens scoring from the spot
  • Pogba scores valuable away goal
  • Niasse scores late consolation

Match Summary

Needing to overturn a two-goal deficit from the first leg, Hull put in a big shift on Thursday night and were rewarded in the first half when Tom Huddlestone gave them the lead from the penalty spot.

However, the semi-final was all but decided when Paul Pogba pulled his side level in the 66th minute to put United 3-1 up on aggregate.

Omar Baye Niasse scored in the 85th minute to ensure the Tigers would have a small token to show for their efforts, as Manchester United move on to the final.

Full Report

Playing at home, the Tigers made a measured start to the match. They may not have been as aggressive as their supporters may have liked, but they weren't allowing United to create much either.

They were rewarded for their patience in the 35th minute when Marcos Rojo was questionably blown up blown up for a challenge in the box, with Huddlestone powering home the resulting spot kick.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic was making a constant nuisance of himself and David Marshall had to be at his acrobatic best to deny the Swede shortly after the Tigers had taken the lead.

Hull City sat back after the break and limited the visitors to shots from range, with most of them being charged down or blocked before they even had a chance to trouble Marshall.

However, they showed a rare chink in their armour in the 66th minute, allowing Pogba too much space in the box and he blasted his side level on the night and 3-1 ahead on aggregate.

Marcos Rojo nearly put the result beyond doubt in the 74th minute with a fine header, but it came crashing back off the crossbar, before Niasse did the same at the other end moments later.

The Senegalese forward would have the last say in the match, however, when David Meyler hit a wonderful first-time cross back across the box and he steered it home to give Hull the 2-1 win on the night, but wasn't enough to earn a berth in the final.