Lucas heads Liverpool into fourth round

Lucas Leiva netted the only goal of the game as Liverpool defeated Plymouth 1-0 in their FA Cup third-round replay at Home Park on Wednesday evening.

  • Plymouth Argyle 0 Liverpool 1
  • Lucas scores on 18 minutes
  • Jervis hits the post for Pilgrims
  • Origi's 87th-minute penalty saved
  • Reds march on to fourth round

Match Summary

The Brazilian scored his first goal for the Reds since September 2010 to steer them into the fourth round at the second time of asking after they were held to a 0-0 draw by the League One outfit almost two weeks ago.

Full Report

The visitors started brightly but Loris Karius was called into action early on as he raced out of his box to clear after an undercooked Alberto Moreno free-kick allowed the Pilgrims to break forward.

Arnold Garita then failed to get any power to his header as he latched on to a fifth-minute free-kick as the hosts threatened again.

Daniel Sturridge fizzed a good chance well over the target as a rusty Phillipe Coutinho scuffed his chance from Alexander-Arnold's cross into the box.

Sturridge wanted a penalty on 12 minutes after trying to cut inside Oscar Threlkeld on the left of the area, but it would have been harsh on the Plymouth defender.

Jurgen Klopp's side, though, were ahead six minutes later as Lucas arrived perfectly in the area to connect with a Coutinho corner and head home at the near post.

While there were still celebrating in the stands, Karius was forced to make a superb one-handed save as Carey tried the spectacular, with Plymouth looking to get straight back into this tie.

And they came even closer to netting an equaliser with 31 minutes on the clock as Threlkeld beat Moreno on the right flank before crossing for Garita, but Alexander-Arnold got back just in time to clear the ball off his toe.

Having ended the first half well, David Fox attempted to get his side's second half underway brightly with a decent effort from distance that Karius saved well.

Divock Origi watched as his deflected shot landed comfortably in the arms of Luke McCormick before the keeper so nearly created his own problems.

Harry Wilson, only just on for Coutinho, almost capitalised as the Pilgrims goalkeeper kicked his clearance straight at the Reds youngster, but was relieved to see the ball fly just over the bar.

McCormick made up for his error with a smart stop on 71 minutes, to deny Sturridge, following a quick one-two with Origi.

Argyle's best chance then arrived in the 75th minute as Jake Jervis acrobatically hit the right-hand post as a long ball forward dropped to him from a Sonny Bradley knock-down.

The game seemed well and truly beyond Plymouth when Liverpool were awarded a spot-kick in the 85th minute as Yann Songo hacked down Moreno, but Origi's penalty was poor as McCormick got down well to his right to make the save.

Origi then flashed a wild shot over as he looked to make amends for his error in what was the last real chance of this entertaining match.

The Merseysiders will now face Wolves in the next round.