West Brom punish sloppy Hull

West Brom fought back from a goal down to record a 3-1 win over relegation contenders Hull at the Hawthorns on Monday.

  • West Brom 3 Hull City 1
  • Snodgrass gives visitors the lead
  • Brunt heads home equaliser
  • McAuley puts Baggies in front
  • Morrison seals comeback win

Match Summary

The struggling Tigers took a one-goal lead into the break courtesy of Robert Snodgrass' 21st-minute opener, but they self-destructed in the second half as mistakes at the back led to Chris Brunt equalising before Gareth McAuley gave Albion the lead.

James Morrison sealed the comeback win 17 minutes from time to take Tony Pulis' side up to eighth in the standings, while the East Yorkshire club remain second from bottom.

Full Report

Mike Phelan's men dominated proceedings in the opening 45 minutes and took a deserved 1-0 lead into half-time.

The goal came from Snodgrass, who initially threatened on 13 minutes from a free-kick that was spilled by Ben Foster, but the danger passed. Michael Dawson then volleyed wide from a corner as the ball fell kindly for him and the Tigers were rewarded for their positive start on 21 minutes.

Jake Livermore picked out Ahmed Elmohamady with a superb long pass and the right-back fed the onrushing Snodgrass to slide home from eight yards out.

The Baggies created their first chance on 34 minutes as Salomon Rondon headed straight at David Marshall, while at the other end Dieumerci Mbokani produced the same result with his 38th-minute header that was comfortable for Foster.

Marshall had to be alert to keep out a glancing header from Matt Phillips, before Foster tipped a driven shot from Tom Huddlestone behind as Hull went into the interval with the lead.

But the hosts hit back four minutes into the second half as they capitalised on poor marking, which saw Brunt arrive at the back post to head home a Phillips corner.

More bad defending led to the Baggies going in front on 63 minutes when McAuley rose above his marker to head Phillips' corner goalwards, and although Sam Clucas managed to block it, he stood behind the goal-line and technology ruled the ball had gone in.

Hull paid the price for another blunder at the back 10 minutes later when they failed to clear Hal Robson-Kanu's cross and Morrison scored with a mishit half-volley.

Foster did well to stop Dawson's header in the closing stages as the West Midlanders made it back-to-back wins.