Ten-man City still too good for Burnley

Manchester City battled back from a man down to beat Burnley 2-1 at the Etihad Stadium on Monday and keep their title challenge alive.

  • Manchester City 2 Burnley 1
  • Fernandinho sent off in first half
  • Clichy opens scoring after break
  • Aguero doubles City's lead
  • Mee halves the deficit

Match Summary

Pep Guardiola's side had their backs to the wall when Fernandinho was dismissed in the first half, but they turned things around swiftly after the break, going two goals up through Gael Clichy and Sergio Aguero.

Ben Mee halved the deficit in the closing stages, however, to make for a nervy finish.

The win moved City up to third place on the table, seven points behind league leader Chelsea, while the Clarets are down in 11th position.

We start 2017 with a win and a much needed three points! Well done, boys! #mcfc #mancity #manchestercity

A photo posted by Manchester City (@mancity) on Jan 2, 2017 at 8:53am PST

Full Report

The visitors did well to disrupt City's fluent passing style in the first half and limit their chances on goal.

The hosts still had some good opportunities early on as Ben Mee's sloppy pass saw Kelechi Iheanacho race through on goal, only for Tom Heaton to deny the striker from inside the area before throwing himself as the feet of Raheem Sterling to make another good save on seven minutes.

Iheanacho was presented with another chance moments later when he was played in by Yaya Toure, but he fired over from inside the box.

A short corner from City in the 19th minute resulted in Jesus Navas feeding Toure just outside the area, but the midfielder's curling effort was parried away by Heaton at his left post, while Kevin De Bruyne failed to hit the target from 20 yards out on the left four minutes later.

The home team's frustrations came to the fore on 32 minutes when Fernandinho received his marching orders for a lunging tackle on Johann Gudmundsson.

The Clarets struggled to make the extra man count for the remainder of the first half, despite having plenty of possession, although they did fashion a chance on 36 minutes through Ashley Barnes, who fired wide of the right post from outside the box after latching onto Gudmundsson's header.

Guardiola brought on David Silva and Aguero at the break to inject some new life into his team and it reaped dividends on 57 minutes when a good passage of play saw Clichy collect the ball on the left from a cross and cut onto his right foot before drilling a low shot into the far bottom corner beyond a diving Heaton.

Aguero then sealed the victory six minutes later with a brilliant finish from a tight angle on the right as he picked up the ball after Heaton had prevented Sterling from going around him inside the area.

The Argentine looked hungry for more goals and he threatened again on 65 minutes with a sharp turn just outside the area before dragging a left-footed shot wide of the right post.

George Boyd had a chance to pull one back for the Clarets soon afterwards from a free-kick, which took a deflection off the wall to go out for a corner.

But they did find the back of the net a minute later when Claudio Bravo failed to punch the ball from a corner and Mee followed up to score off the crossbar.

Sam Vokes almost levelled things up with 12 minutes remaining as he got on the end of Scott Arfield's cross from the right, but glanced his header just wide of the left post.

Aguero went close again on 86 minutes following a mazy run down the left flank, which led to the striker shooting over from 20 yards out, while Gray sent a first-time volley wide of the right post at the other end two minutes later.

Bravo then pulled off a good fingertip save to keep out Michael Keane's volley that was hit into the ground and looped up in stoppage time as City held on for the win.