Sunderland make it two on the trot

Sunderland moved out of the relegation zone after they beat a 10-man Stoke City 2-0 at the Stadium of Light on Saturday afternoon.

  • The first half ends goal-less
  • Shawcross is sent off in the 49th minute
  • Van Aanholt scores the game's first goal, in the 82nd minute
  • Watmore seals the win three minutes later

Match Summary

Sunderland overcame a sluggish start to beat Stoke City 2-0, thanks to two goals in the final 10 minutes. The Black Cats suffer a blow when Jermaine Defoe is forced off by injury on 30 minutes, but Stoke suffer an even bigger setback when Shawcross is dismissed early in the second half.

Butland makes several saves, the visitors also surviving a few penalty appeals, before Sunderland's late surge earns the win that lifts them out of the drop zone.

Full Report

While it was Stoke who made the brighter start to the game, dominating all of the early ball possession, it was the hosts who had the first chance, but Steven Fletcher was unable to trouble Jack Butland from a difficult angle.

After a difficult opening 10 minutes for the Black Cats, they began to find their feet and came close to scoring in the 20th minute when Jermaine Defoe's drive from the edge of the box skidded just wide of the post, Butland looking beaten.

Sunderland continued to grow stronger, but suffered a big setback on the half-hour mark when Defoe was forced off with what appeared to be a thigh problem, his place taken by Duncan Watmore.

The Potters were to have a great chance on 34 minutes, the best of the game, but in trying to turn in a cross, Jonathan Walters saw his effort saved by the legs of Sunderland stopper Costel Pantilimon.

Both sides had chances as the action intensified in the closing minutes of the first half, with Charlie Adam sending a header over the bar for Mark Hughes' side.

Stoke were to suffer a major setback four minutes into the second half when the lively Watmore was fouled by Ryan Shawcross, who received a second yellow card as his afternoon ended earlier than anticipated.

The dismissal saw the Black Cats sensing the kill, but Yann M'Vila missed a great chance when he skewed an effort wide, before Sebastian Coates' header was brilliantly kept out by the impressive Butland.

The Potters though were able to get back into the match for a period as Sunderland failed to keep up the pressure on the 10 men, Watmore wasting a half chance, while Stephen Fletcher twice had penalty appeals turned down.

Sam Allardyce's men were however finally to get on the score-sheet, eight minutes from time, when Patrick van Aanholt rifled home a left-footed shot following a short corner.

And it was 2-0 just three minutes later when Watmore's superb run ended with him beating Butland with a low hard shot into the corner.