Thailand defeat Indonesia to claim fifth AFF Suzuki Cup title

Aung Thu at Muangthong United

Thailand successfully defended their AFF Suzuki Cup title after overturning a 2-1 first-leg deficit to beat Indonesia 3-2 on aggregate in Bangkok.

  • Thailand dominate early proceedings
  • Siroch nets fortunate opening goal
  • Siroch strikes again to double lead
  • Danga misses late penalty

The War Elephants claimed their fifth title in all as they won 2-0 on the night thanks to a brace off goals from Siroch Chatthong, while they could also afford for the tournament’s top scorer Teerasil Danga to miss a late penalty.

With a one-goal advantage to their name after winning the first leg 2-1, it was Indonesia who sat deep and defended in numbers in the first half as Thailand dominated most of the play.

As a result of the pressure, it was Teerasil Dangda who looked the most threatening in the first 10 minutes. The War Elephants were getting a lot of joy down both flanks and were winning plenty of free kicks down the left hand side of attack.

However, Indonesia’s defence were able to deal with most of what was thrown at them. The Red and Whites were relying on occasional breaks and Zulham Zamrun’s shot tested Kawin Thamsatchanan in goal in the 26th minute.

A few moments later Tristan Do had an effort on goal for Thailand but he failed to hit the back of the net. The first goal wasn’t long in arriving when poor defending led to an opportunity for Thailand’s Siroch Chatthong in the 37th minute.

After a dangerous cross from the left by Theerathon Bunmathan, Fachrudin Aryanto’s clearance hit the forward and flew into the net. After the break, the Indonesian’s knew they had to open up to attack as they were losing on the away goals rule.

Yet, it would be Thailand who would virtually seal the Suzuki Cup when Chatthong fired home his brace after good work from Chanathip Songkrasin. It was a brilliant right-footed curling effort from the edge of the area that flew into the far corner and gave Meiga little chance in the 47th minute.

The Elephants continued to dominate the ball, although forward Boaz Solossa was coming more into the match for the losing team. Nonetheless, it should have been 3-0, but Dangda missed a penalty in the 81st minute after Chatthong was brought down by Meiga in the danger area.

There were few further scares, although Abduh Lestaluhu saw red in injury-time as his frustrations go the better of him, and he kicked the ball at Thailand’s bench.

With that said, Senamuang’s team were full value for the win as they claimed their fifth title in the competition.