Lethal Vardy sets record in gritty draw

Jamie Vardy scored in an unprecedented 11th consecutive Premier League game as Leicester City drew 1-1 against Man United at the King Power Stadium on Saturday evening.

  • Record-breaker Vardy scores in 11th straight game
  • Schweinsteiger heads in equaliser before break
  • Rooney subbed early after another poor display
  • Ulloa missed from close range for hosts in second half

Match Summary

All eyes were on the former non-league striker as he looked to eclipse the feat set by ex-Red Devils striker Ruud van Nistelrooy and he sent the home fans wild in the 24th minute to make the goalscoring record his own.

The party atmosphere turned slightly sour on the stroke of half time, though, as Bastian Schweinsteiger headed in his first goal for Manchester United after he outmuscled Shinji Okazaki from a corner.

Louis van Gaal's side looked the more likely to grab all three points in the closing stages after Leonardo Ulloa fluffed his chance to put the finishing touch on another swift move from the hosts, with Juan Mata and Memphis Depay only offered brief glimpses of goal.

Leicester City are now joined at the top of the Premier League table by Manchester City, while their arch-rivals Manchester United are only a point behind in third.

Full Report

Before Vardy etched his name into the record books with England manager Roy Hodgson looking on, the top-of-the-table clash was bogged down in a real tactical battle as the Foxes worked hard to keep Manchester United's 3-4-1-2 formation at bay.

The Red Devils were intent on moving the ball a little quicker after their 0-0 stalemate with PSV in midweek, but were only able to carve out two half-chances through Wayne Rooney which did not trouble Leicester goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel.

Vardy then sparked into life. From a Manchester United corner, the history-maker sprinted from the edge of his own area to help launch a trademark Leicester counter attack and finished with real conviction into the bottom left corner after he broke the opposition's unbalanced back-line and pounced on Christian Fuchs perfectly-weighted through ball from the right.

As the fans and media alike began to comprehend witnessing Vardy's incredible achievement, the clash settled back into a familiar pattern with the Foxes working even harder to try and unsettle their rattled opponents.

However, Schweinsteiger was able to haul the visitors level just seconds before the break. The German took full advantage of a physical mismatch against Okazaki inside the area and powered home a header from six yards to set up a fascinating second half.

Schweinsteiger almost secured a carbon copy of his equalising goal after he met Ashley Young's pinpoint free-kick four minutes into the restart. Schmeichel was able to push away, though, and was relieved to see the offside flag raised with Rooney bearing down on goal on the follow-up.

Claudio Ranieri's side continued to absorb pressure for large parts of the second half but, within minutes of coming onto the field on the hour mark, Ulloa spurned a glorious chance one-on-one with David de Gea which would have rounded off another devastating counter attack.

The goalmouth action dried up despite Manchester United's best efforts to force a late winner with Juan Mata's half-volley from close range diverted away and Memphis Depay unable to keep his shot down deep inside the area thanks to pressure from the recovering Wes Morgan.

Danny Drinkwater and Matteo Darmian both exchanged well-struck shots from range with the final whistle looming, but both sides were forced to settle for a hard-earned point.