Thailand trounce Myanmar to reach AFF Suzuki Cup final

Thailand will meet Indonesia in the 2015 Suzuki Cup final after a 4-0 second-leg win and 6-0 aggregate victory over Myanmar in their semi-final tie at the Rajamangala Stadium on Thursday evening.

  • Thailand 4 Myanmar 0
  • Masuk opens scoring
  • Bunmathan makes it 2-0
  • Chatthong adds a third
  • Songkrasin ends the rout
  • Thailand advance to finals

Match summary

Holding a two goal lead Sarawut Masuk’s first half header put Thailand in full control of the fixture.

Theerathon Bunmathan’s second half penalty, followed up by Siroch Chatthong’s strike 15 minutes from time and Chanathip Songkrasin’s 83rd minute strike gave Kiatisuk Senamuang’s men an easy 4-0 win on the night.

Full report

After a timid opening affair, Thailand drew first blood in the second-leg semi final tie with midfielder Sarawut Masuk’s diving header leaving Myanmar goalkeeper Kyaw Zin Phyo with no chance – while notching up his third of the tournament.

With a three goal deficit at half time, The White Angels pushed men forward at every attempt and went close three minutes after the break with 20-year-old striker Than Paing smashing the post with a fierce strike.

However, The War Elephants regained their composure after the scare and clawed their way back in through a silly mistake from, Myanmar captain Yan Au – who conceded a penalty for a high foot on the first-half goal scorer, Masuk.

Senior defender Theerathon Bunmathan converted the subsequent spot-kick awarded by Jordanian referee Adham Makhadmeh to double his sides advantage and effectively kill the tie off.

The goals didn’t end at the 4-0 aggregate scoreline, Kiatisuk Senamuang decided to give Charyl Chappuis and Siroch Chatthong a run out and Chappuis, who literally just ran onto the field of play combined with his fellow substitute to make it 3-0.

The Suphanburi midfielder played a delightful ball over the top for the birthday boy Chatthong, to first control just outside the area and then smash an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net – after dragging the ball to an acute angle of the post.

It was cruise control from then on and Chanathip Songkrasin finished off the rout, with a composed finish from 12 yards, when he received a simple cut back from the influential Masuk.

Thailand advance to the two-legged final where they face off against Indonesia.

The first-leg will take place on the 14th December at the Pakansari Stadium in Bogor and the second-leg will be three days later at the Rajamangala Stadium in Bangkok.