Indonesia edge Vietnam in extra time thriller

Indonesia are through to the final of the 2016 AFF Suzuki Cup with a 4-3 aggregate scoreline after drawing their semi-final second leg 2-2 with 10-man Vietnam at the My Dinh National Stadium in Hanoi on Wednesday.

  • Vietnam 2 Indonesia 2
  • Lilipaly scores on 54 minutes
  • Tran Nguyen Manh is dismissed on 76 minutes
  • Vu Van Thanh levels on 83 minutes
  • Vu Minh Tuan scores in injury time
  • Lestusen nets a 97th minute penalty

Match summary

Stefano Lilipaly gave Indonesia an unlikely lead after 54 minutes before Vu Van Thanh levelled the score with 83 minutes on the clock – this after goalkeeper Tran Nguyen Manh had been sent off in the 76th minute.

Defender Que Ngoc Hai was forced to take his place in the poles with Vietnam coach Nguyen Huu Thang having already made his three allotted substitutions.

Vu Minh Tuan then sent the game into extra-time with his goal in the third minute of stoppage time at the end of the match.

But Manahati Lestusen secured his side’s progression to this year’s final against one of Thailand or Myanmar when he buried a 97th minute penalty.

Full report

Vietnam started on the front foot and pegged Indonesia back into their own box in the opening exchanges and fired in a couple of good crosses from both flanks.

Fachrudin Aryanto headed clear a dangerous ball before Dinh Thanh Trung saw his whipped ball into the area bypass everyone and go out for a goalkick.

Vu Van Thanh had a 10th minute shot fly wide of the left post after a good one-two with Le Cong Vinh before he fired over from the edge of the box just after Nguyen Van Toan saw his opportunity to hit a shot thwarted by his own teammate Nguyen Van Quyet, who ultimately laid the ball on for Le Cong Vinh’s effort.

Indonesia were struggling to get out of their own half, with Rizky Ripora overrunning the ball after a good one-two down the left flank with Muhammad Lestaluhu.

Vietnam may well have opened the scoring in the 16th minute but after some superb approach play around the Indonesia box, they played one too many passes and allowed Aryanto to get back in a position to hack the ball clear.

Lestaluhu then got across his goal well to put off Le Cong Vinh from getting a shot away from close range after a good run and pull back in the box from the left hand side from Dinh Thanh Trung.

Indonesia grew in strength and composure as the half wore on and began to easily cut out the intricate passing of their opponents.

Aryanto did expertly to deny Nguyen Van Toan from racing into the box from a tight angle from the right on 28 minutes before so nearly breaking through with the overlap before the play was brought back for an earlier foul.

A long ball into the box was well collected by Kurnia Hermansyah with Le Cong Vinh charging in, before Aryanto found himself in the correct position again to cut out a dangerous ball from the right from Dinh Thanh Trung.

The same player then hit a curling left-footed shot just wide of the left-hand post with 34 minutes played before Indonesia finally got in behind their opponents, although Andik Vermansyah failed to find a teammate with a angled cross from the right.

Le Cong Vinh saw Hermansyah make a comfortable save from his weak header from a Nguyen Van Quyet delivery in the dying seconds of the first half while the last piece of action from an eventful opening 45 minutes saw Tran Nguyen Manh gratefully grabbing the ball as it came out off the right-hand post from an inadvertent touch from Le Cong Vinh.

Nguyen Van Toan curled a shot just wide of the left-hand post at the start of second half, before Le Cong Vinh came close to opening the scoring as he slid in a second too late to meet a good cross form left from Luong Xuan Truong.

And that miss proved to be costly as Lilipaly poked home from on the line after a horrible mix-up saw Hansamu Pranata and goalkeeper Hermansyah get in each others way when trying to deal with a Boas Solossa cross from the right, with 54 minutes played.

Lilipaly then fired over when in acres of space after neat through pass from Andik Vermansyah before substitute Vu Minh Tuan saw his volley from inside the box go just wide of the target.

Le Cong Vinh tried his luck from edge of the box with a low curling effort that Hermansyah got down well to his left to save before a point blank save from Hermansyah from a powerful Vu Minh Tuan effort.

Vietnam stuck to their guns and continued to pass the around but it came increasingly difficult with Indonesia sitting back in their numbers.

Having already conceded, it got worse for Vietnam after Tran Nguyen Manh was sent off with 76 minutes played, leaving them with only ten players and an inexperience replacement stopper.

But the set-back only seemed to spur the players on, with Vu Van Thanh sweeping home from the right hand side after latching onto Pham Thanh Luong’s clever cut back from a free-kick.

Vietnam continued to pepper their opponents’ goal with Nguyen Trong Hoang and Vu Van Thanh firing well wide before Pham Thanh Luong hit a rasping shot at Hermansyah that he did well to palm away.

But with the momentum behind them, the host side found the goal that their play deserved as Vu Minh Tuan powered into the box before poking the ball into bottom right corner.

With tired legs, extra-time was a more subdued affair.

Beny Wahyudi fired wide after a corner was half clered before Que Ngoc Hai gave away a penalty after hacking down Ferdinand Sinaga as he tried to round the stand-in keeper inside the box.

Manahati Lestusen stepped up and fired the spot-kick straight down the middle of the goal.

Needing a goal to take the match to penalties, Vietnam again upped the tempo, with Nguyen Cong Phuong firing wide of right post from edge of box.

There were claims for a second Indonesia penalty at the end of the first half of extra time as Ripora appeared to be fouled by a combination of Tran Dinh Dong and Que Ngoc Hai but the referee and his assistant decided the decision should go in Vietnam’s favour.

Le Cong Vinh had a poor shot from the edge of the box easily collected in the second half of extra-time, before Pham Thanh Luong fired over after some silky skills in the box.

But try as they might, Vietnam could not find a way past the determined defending of Indonesia, who will feel they deserved their spot in the two-legged final that kicks off on December 14.

Thailand and Myanmar play their semi-final second leg on Thursday, with Thailand 2-0 up from the first leg.