Baines penalty earns Toffees a point

Everton struck in the final minute to clinch a dramatic 1-1 draw with Manchester United at Goodison Park on Sunday.

  • Everton 1 Manchester United 1
  • Few chances in first half
  • Ibrahimovic scores just before HT
  • Herrera hits the crossbar
  • Late Baines penalty clinches draw

Match Summary

Jose Mourinho's side were the better team in the first half, but the Toffees gave a reaction after the break and claimed a deserved point in the end.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic put United ahead on 41 minutes with a typical goal from the Swede, but the hosts scored a late equaliser through Leighton Baines via the penalty spot. 

Full Report

The encounter was full of fire but there were scant few chances in the first half, despite both teams showing an attacking intent.

United looked dangerous once again, although the final ball was lacking on a number of occasions. The best they could must in the opening stages was a long-range effort from Paul Pogba that he curled well wide of the left post on eight minutes.

Ramiro Funes Mori then blazed an ambitious shot from a long way out over the crossbar two minutes later before the best chance fell to Tom Cleverley on 17 minutes as he mis-hit a volley that David De Gea easily claimed.

There was very little in the way of goal-mouth action up until the closing stages of the first half when Ibrahimovic reached Anthony Martial's pass over the top ahead of Maarten Stekelenburg and lobbed the ball over the keeper as it hit the crossbar and then the right post before creeping over the line.

The half finished with Martial fizzing a long-range shot straight at Stekelenburg on 44 minutes for the keeper's first save.

Ronald Koeman's men started the second half on the front foot, with a neat passing move leading to Kevin Mirallas breaking into the area on the right and firing a venomous shot that De Gea parried over on 53 minutes.

Martial then went close at the other end two minutes later as he collected the ball on the left and looked to pick out the far right corner, but a touch from Seamus Coleman saw it miss the target by inches.

Ander Herrera was a whisker away from doubling the Red Devils' lead on the hour mark when he got on the end of Michael Carrick's cross and cracked a half-volley against the crossbar from even yards out.

The visitors then survived a sustained spell of pressure, which culminated in Idrissa Gueye getting off a swerving shot from outside the area in the 75th minute that caused De Gea some problems as the keeper just about parried it away from danger.

De Gea was fortunate that Enner Valencia headed straight at him from close range following Mason Holgate's cross on 81 minutes, but the Merseysiders finally found a reply at the death.

Marouane Fellaini made contact with Gueye inside the area and the referee pointed to the spot. Baines made no mistake from 12 yards out to earn Everton a share of the spoils following an improved performance in the second half.