Jeonbuk clinch second AFC Champions League crown

Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors won the AFC Champions League final 3-2 on aggregate after a thrilling second-leg 1-1 draw with Al Ain at the Hazza Bin Zayed Stadium on Saturday.

  • Al Ain 1 Jeonbuk 1
  • Kyo-won opens the scoring
  • Myung-Joo levels matters
  • Douglas misses penalty
  • Jeonbuk hold out for CL glory

Match summary

Jeonbuk opened the scoring on the half-hour mark through midfielder Han Kyo-won but Al Ain’s Lee Myung-joo soon equaled the scores less than five minutes later.

Just before half-time Brazil forward Douglas missed a crucial penalty for the hosts.

There were no further goals in the second half as the South Koreans held firm to secure their AFC Champions League title.

Full report

The second-leg of the AFC Champions League final proved to a thrilling encounter in the United Arab Emirates.

Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors held a slender one goal lead after their 2-1 home victory in the first-leg at home and surprisingly looked towards an attacking brand of football in the return fixture.

They were dealt a bitter blow as early as the fifth minute, though, when Ricardo Lopes had to be hauled off through injury and replaced by midfielder Han Kyo-won.

Omar Abdulrahman and Leonardo, the stars of this season’s competition, had chances on either ends for their respective sides but on the half-hour mark it was the South Koreans who took the lead.

A blessing in disguise, as the earlier substitute, Kyo-won latched onto a crisp delivery from Lee Jae Sung to put his side ahead, 1-0 on the night and 3-1 on aggregate.

Zlatko Dalic’s side knew they had to push hard in order to stay in the game and they did just that as Lee Myung-joo restored parity less than five minutes later, a scuffed volley that bounced and evaded the reach of Jeonbuk keeper Kwoun Sun-tae.

And shortly before half-time, ‘The Leaders’ were awarded a penalty when Danilo Asprilla was brought down in the area by Kim Hyun-gil.

However, Brazilian forward Douglas failed to convert, much to the dismay of the Al Ain technical team. A disgruntled Dalic was sent to the stands by referee Ryuji Sato soon after following a scuffle on the sidelines.

In the second half, Al Ain defender Mohanad Salem went close after rising highest from a set-piece but his header went just side of the post.

The near miss sparked a period of intensity in the final with Kyo-won, Salem, Park Won-jae and Kim Shin-wook all receiving yellow cards from referee Ryuji Sato – in quick succession.

With Dak Gong Noksekjunsa still holding the slender 3-2 aggregate lead, the home side pushed forward in numbers but Ibrahim Diaky and Myung-joo both couldn’t get the better of Soon-Tae.

On the break, star attacker Leonardo was always a threat for Choi Kang-hee’s men, as he clearly instructed for his side to stay compact in the final stages.

And that’s exactly what they managed to do, securing a draw away from home to secure their first continental triumph in ten years.