Real Madrid on Thursday said that Gareth Bale will have surgery on ankle ligaments he damaged in their Champions League game on Tuesday.
Bale left the field during their 2-1 win over Sporting Lisbon after about an hour an hour.
Real Madrid yesterday said that Bale is to go under the knife at "King Edward VII Hospital in London on Tuesday 29th November by doctor James Calder, under the supervision of the club doctors Jesus Olmo and Mikel Aramberri."
It said earlier that the Wales star had sustained "a traumatic dislocation of the peroneal tendons of his right ankle" and that his return would depend "on how the injury evolves."
The report indicates that Bale could be out of action for up to three months.
— Real Madrid C. F. (@realmadrid) November 24, 2016
That means Bale will miss El Classico against Barcelona on December 3 as well as the World Club Championship in Japan.
The last 16 of the Champions League also loom. The knockout stages begin in February, with Real to play Borussia Dortmund on December 8 in Group F.
Striker Alvaro Morata (hamstring) and Tony Kroos (broken metatarsus bone) are also out of action for Real Madrid, while fitness concerns remain for leftback Marcelo and midfielder Casemiro.