Leverkusen and CKSA share the spoils

Bayer Leverkusen blew their chance to go top of Group E after being held to a 1-1 draw by CSKA Moscow at Arena CSKA on Tuesday.

CSKA Moscow 1 Bayer Leverkusen 1
Volland gives Leverkusen early lead
Visitors take one-goal cushion into HT
Natcho penalty restores parity
Volland strikes frame of the goal

Match Summary

Roger Schmidt's side took an early lead in the Russian capital through Kevin Volland, as they looked to keep the pressure on group leaders Monaco, who were going up against Tottenham later that evening.

But they were eventually pegged back by Bebars Natcho's second-half penalty to earn the Horses a share of the spoils, although Volland was denied a potential winner by the woodwork soon afterwards.

Full Report

Leverkusen were seeking their second win in the group and they made a promising start as Tin Jedvaj tested Igor Akinfeev in the fifth minute from range, before Hakan Calhanoglu narrowly missed the target with his shot from inside the area on the right three minutes later.

The hosts then created two chances in quick succession in the 11th minute when Aleksandr Golovin drew a save out of Bernd Leno from inside the box on the right, while Fedor Chalov fired wide from the resulting corner.

However, the Bundesliga club broke the deadlock five minutes later as Kevin Kampl played in Kevin Volland, who slotted past Akinfeev from inside the box.

They threatened again through Javier Hernandez on 18 minutes, but his effort was saved by Akinfeev, while at the other end Chalov wasted another opportunity in the 25th minute when he dragged his shot wide of the left post.

Akinfeev was called into action soon afterwards to keep out Jonathan Tah's close-range header from a Calhanoglu cross, before denying the Turkish midfielder from distance on 32 minutes.

There were no further clear-cut chances until the 61st minute when Alan Dzagoev forced a save out of Leno with his strike from outside the box, and the keeper was required to keep out Aleksandr Golovin's close-range effort eight minutes later.

Leonid Slutsky's men were let back into the match on 74 minutes after they won a penalty for Benjamin Henrichs' foul on Mario Fernandes, with Natcho converting from 12 yards out to level the scores.

Volland so nearly restored the visitors' lead six minutes later with a shot from inside the box on the left that came back off the near post, while Chalov had a late chance to win the game for the Horses but failed to beat Leno.