Teerasil hits hat-trick as Thailand begin with a win

Thailand got the defence of their AFF Suzuki Cup title off to a winning start with a 4-2 win over Indonesia in a thrilling clash in Bocaue on Saturday.

Thailand 4 Indonesia 2

Peerapat scores on five minutes

Teerasil adds a second on 36 minutes

Solossa pulls a goal back with 53 minutes played

Eliandry equalises three minutes later

Teerasil gets his second on 79 minutes

He completes his hat-trick in stoppage time

Match summary

Thailand opened the scoring after just five minutes through Peerapat Notchaiya before Teerasil added a second after 36 minutes.

It was almost a game of two halves as a rejuvenated Indonesia emerged for the second half, with Boaz Solossa pulling a goal back in the 53rd minute before Lerby Eliandry grabbed an equaliser just three minutes later.

But Teerasil added his second with 79 minutes played to put Thailand back into the lead before he netted in the fourth minute of injury time to put the result beyond doubt.

Full report:

Thailand bossed the opening exchanges with Peerapat firing over the target with his first sight of goal after just two minutes. The host team continued to pass the ball around well before breaking the deadlock three minutes later.

Peerapat fired his shot from the left of goal into the bottom right corner of the net after being gifted the ball by Rudolof Basna.

The defender had completely missed his clearance under pressure from Siroch Chatthong, and looked to recover, but merely hacked his half clearance into the path of the goalscorer, who finished well.

Indonesia looked to get back into the game and were attacking well down the right-hand side although with no end product.

Teerasil should have added a second moments later from a good corner from the right, that was flicked on by Pratum Chuthong to his teammate, but he could only smash a shot from inside the small box onto the underside of the cross bar.

A rare attack from Indonesia saw them break through Boas Salossa, whose cross was well blocked, while Rizky Pora curled his shot just over the goal after picking up the loose ball.

Thailand goalkeeper Kawin Thamsatchanan then made a super one-handed save from a deflected shot from Boaz that looked to be heading into the top corner of the net. The same player did well to work some space for himself inside the box but skewed his shot horribly wide.

Stefano Lilipaly saw his 26th minute shot also deflected wide after a good lay-off from Boaz before Teerasil had a 32nd minute shot fly just over the Indonesia goal after a quick break forward, as Kawin then did well to save a deep cross from the right.

Thailand though netted their second goal of the game after some excellent football down the left hand side as Peerapat Notchaiya fed the ball to Chanathip Songkrasin inside the box. He did well to cut it back for Teerasil, who bundled the ball over the line under pressure from a number of defenders.

Indonesia raised their game at the start of the second half with Boaz seeing his shot on the turn well blocked before Kawin did well to hold onto a another good delivery into the box.
Before Thailand knew what hit them, Indonesia had scored as Boaz headed into the far post after a good cross from the left from Rizky Pora.

And Indonesia were soon level as Eliandry got up well, unchallenged to meet a cross from Beny Wahyudi from the right.

Pratum Chuthong headed over as Thailand looked to restore their lead, while Teerasil fired just over after a great through-ball on the hour mark.

Thailand wasted a couple of good chances, first from a free-kick that was lifted over the defensive wall before being cleared, before Adison Promrak wanted too many touches on the ball inside the box when he should have shot first time.

Eliandry saw his deflected shot well saved by the Thailand keeper as Indonesia continued to attack, before Andik Vermansah forced a good diving save from the home stopper on 76 minutes.

But just when it seemed as if Indonesia were in control, their opponents upped the tempo and restored their lead with 79 minutes played. It was a great team goal, finished off by Teerasil into the bottom left-hand corner of the net.

Substitute Theerathon Bunmanthan played a neat ball forward to Sarach Yooyen who dropped the ball back for Teerasil to finish cooly.

Pora and Boaz both saw their efforts fly well wide of the mark before the Thailand keeper made a great save from Boaz from just inside the box.

But despite their efforts to find a third goal, it was Thailand who ended the stronger of the two teams, and Teerasil completed his hat-trick with a simple side-foot finish from inside the small box after latching onto a good ball from Sarach.