Toffees and Eagles share the spoils

Crystal Palace were left to rue a controversial refereeing decision as they had to settle for a 1-1 draw with Everton at Goodison park on Friday.

  • Everton 1 Crystal Palace 1
  • Lukaku free-kick gives hosts lead
  • Benteke header restores parity
  • Delaney header ruled out for offside
  • Palace twice clear off the line

Match Summary

The Eagles had won their last three matches in the Premier League, but found themselves trailing after 35 minutes when Romelu Lukaku curled his free-kick past a static Steve Mandanda.

They hit back after the break, however, as Christian Benteke headed home Joel Ward's cross to restore parity before the visitors were denied the winner when the ref ruled that Damien Delaney had been offside as he beat Maarten Stekelenburg with a header, with replays proving otherwise.

Full Report

The hosts made the better start as they looked to bounce back from a first defeat of the season to Bournemouth, with Lukaku testing Mandanda from inside the box on the right on 19 minutes.

Lukaku then had the beating of Mandanda 10 minutes before half-time with an excellent free-kick that he curled over the wall to leave the keeper motionless.

Palace had offered almost nothing in attack during the first half, but they responded just five minutes after the restart when Benteke rose above Seamus Coleman to head past Stekelenburg for the equaliser.

James Tomkins had to be alert to clear off the line moments later as Idrissa Gueye's shot looped towards goal after being blocked by Martin Kelly.

The south Londoners then had the ball in the back of the net courtesy of Delaney, but after conversing with his assistant, referee Jon Moss disallowed the goal for offside, although replays showed it was not the case.

Ronald Koeman's side nearly snatched the lead again from Gareth Barry's header, but Jason Puncheon was well positioned on the line to clear the danger.

Tomkins went close with a header that was kept out by Stekelenburg, while at the other end Coleman steered Lukaku's pass over the crossbar from inside the box in the closing stages.