JDT left frustrated after 1-1 draw with Bengaluru

Johor Darul Ta’zim have it all to do in the second leg of their AFC Cup semifinal after a 1-1 home draw with Bengaluru in a frustrating night for the reigning champions.

  • JDT 1 Bengaluru 1
  • Bengaluru keeper denies Lucero twice in first half
  • Azinee Taib misses best chance on 36 minutes
  • Diaz heads home opener on 52 minutes
  • Lyngdoh hits long-range leveller four minutes later

Match summary

Bengaluru dominate the first 20 minutes, but JDT come back strongly and are unlucky not to lead at the break after missing several chances.

The home side take the lead on 52 minutes through Diaz, but are stunned four minutes later as Lyngdoh equalises with a 25-yarder out of nothing.

Full report

Bengaluru began the game by pressing Johor high up the pitch and won a corner in the fifth minute after an error by Fazly Mazlan. John Johnson hooked just over the JDT bar from the resulting cross.

The visitors continued to press and dominate possession, leaving the home side to make do with sporadic counter attacks.

In fact, it was the visitors who looked more like the home side in the first 20 minutes or so, keeping the ball while continually probing for openings.

JDT had their first real sniff at goal in the 22nd minute when Pereyra Diaz pounced on a loose ball on the edge of the box, but couldn’t keep his shot down.

The hosts slowly started to come back into the game and Juan Martin Lucero almost grabbed the opener on 26 minutes, leaping to head a cross from Azinee Taib toward goal. The ball looked to be going in until keeper Amrinder Singh dived to his right and palmed away spectacularly.

Eugeneson Lyngdoh should have done better just two minutes later after Vineeth found him on the edge of the box but his tame shot was easily saved by Izham Tarmizi.

Pereyra Diaz then had a shot blocked by Cameron Watson on the half hour in what was a goal-saving block.

Azinee Taib then missed the best chance of the game so far on 36 minutes, checking inside and shooting wide when he should have scored.

Johor continued to push forward looking for the opener, and Lucero was denied again two minutes before the break as Amrinder saved well when the Argentine was clean through, the keeper ensuring the visitors managed to make it to the break level.

The first chance of the second half came after just two minutes and fell to Diaz, who ran onto a through ball from Hariss Harun but shot weakly at the keeper.

Sunil Chhetri then shot straight at Izham three minutes later after working some space on the edge of the JDT box.

Pereyra Diaz finally broke the deadlock on 52 minutes, climbing high unchallenged to head home Safiq’s corner from inside the six-yard box for his seventh goal of the campaign.

The lead didn’t last long, however, as just four minutes later Lyngdoh stunned the home crowd with a superb strike, hitting the net from around 25 yards with a shot that almost seemed to take Izham by surprise.

Lyngdoh was then lucky to avoid a caution on 70 minutes as he collided with Izham while chasing a loose ball in the box.

JDT substitute Amri Yahyah was then booked just seconds after coming on in the 75th minute for a blatant trip on Vineeth as he threatened to break away near halfway.

Johor were struggling to find any kind of rhythm because of constant interruptions in play, which suited the visitors as they were content to play out for a draw.

Nevertheless, JDT continued to press for a winner, but were unable to make headway against a packed Bengaluru defence.

The result means JDT will need to win in India when the sides meet in the return leg next month if they are to make it to the final for a second successive year.