Eagles amongst the goals against Potters

Crystal Palace inflicted more misery on struggling Stoke with a convincing 4-1 victory at Selhurst Park on Sunday afternoon.

  • Crystal Palace 4 Stoke 1
  • Tomkins gives Eagles early lead
  • Dann header doubles their advantage
  • McArthur, Townsend score after break
  • Arnautovic bags late consolation goal

Match Summary

Alan Pardew's side got off to a flying start when James Tomkins gave them a ninth-minute lead, before Scott Dann doubled their advantage with a header two minutes later.

Potters boss Mark Hughes came under further pressure in the second half as James McArthur and Andros Townsend added to Palace's lead, although the visitors did manage a late consolation goal through Marko Arnautovic in stoppage time but they are now without a win in five Premier League matches.

Full Report

Palace looked to attack from the start and they forced a couple of early corners before taking the lead from another set-piece on eight minutes.

Wilfried Zaha was floored by Arnautovic, and Townsend's free-kick found Tomkins at the back post, where was bundled the ball home.

It wasn't the start Stoke had hoped for and things got worse for the basement club just two minutes later as they conceded a second goal, this time Dann applying the finishing touch to Jason Puncheon's corner.

The hosts were threatening again on 19 minutes, Zaha and Christian Benteke combining well to set up Puncheon, whose strike was saved by Shay Given in the visiting goal.

Wilfried Bony created the Potters' first and only clear chance midway through the first half when he dispossessed Dann, but his effort from outside the area went wide of the post.

Townsend then forced Given to parry away his free-kick moments later, and the veteran Irishman was happy not to be troubled for the remainder of the half.

Bojan prevented the visitors from going further behind early in the second half as he denied a bullet header from Dann on the goalline following a Puncheon cross, before Zaha was kept out by Given at close range moments later from Townsend's cross.

Palace kept chipping away and their efforts were rewarded with a third goal on 71 minutes, McArthur seeing his shot from inside the area deflected past Given after Puncheon's free-kick was cleared into his path.

And Townsend got in on the act four minutes later as he surged down the left flank before cutting inside and unleashing a shot from outside the box that flew past Given for Palace's fourth.

The home team took their foot of the gas with a couple of substitutions, and Stoke managed to grab a late consolation goal when Arnautovic struck from the edge of the box with a first-time finish to give the visiting fans something to cheer about.