Slimani brace helps Leicester sink Burnley

Islam Slimani netted a brace as Leicester City defeated Burnley 3-0 in their Premier League clash at the King Power Stadium on Saturday.

  • Slimani opened the scoring in the first half
  • The Algerian adds a second straight after the break
  • Leicester control much of the tie
  • Mee scores own goal late on

Match summary:

Algerian striker Slimani opened the scoring on his home debut with a powerful header in the first minute of first-half stoppage time, before adding a second three minutes after the restart with a close-range header.

Ben Mee then directed the ball into his own net after trying to get a boot to a teasing Riyad Mahrez cross to seal Burnley’s fate.

Full report:

The Foxes were quickest out of the blocks with some good interplay through the centre of the park to set up Slimani to have his first sight of goal, but he opted to feed Marc Albrighton, whose ball to Jamie Vardy was well cleared by Michael Keane.

Burnley looked to get forward through George Boyd after four minutes but his ball to Andrew Gray was just overhit.

Daniel Amartey then fired over for Leicester after a good knock down from Wes Morgan following a teasing corner.

Jeff Hendrick was next to try his luck with a shot that flew wide of the target, while Boyd drilled a first-time strike into a wall of blue shirts from the edge of the box.

Tom Heaton denied Mahrez with his legs on 25 minutes after the winger dribbled bast Stephen Ward and Mee before firing a low effort towards the near post.

Ward and Heaton then did well to deny Drinkwater from poking home after the Leicester player had picked up a Slimani through ball.

Burnley should have scored on 33 minutes but Steven Defour could not direct his header from inside the six-yard box on target.

Leicester then were guilty of wasting their own opportunity as Mahrez headed wide of the post from a brilliant Fuchs cross.

And with the half winding down, Slimani failed to beat Heaton from Vardy’s lay-off; but he made no mistake two minutes later by powering home a great cross from Fuchs to send his side into the break a goal to the good.

The second half had barely started when Slimani headed home a second – this time from a cheeky Vardy backheel that bobbled nicely for the striker after Mahrez’s had put in a low cross.

Gray looked to respond for the Clarets but fired his long-range shot over the goal but it was Leicester who looked the more likely to add to their lead.

Heaton though had an easy save from Albrighton from the edge of the box before Mahrez picked up a poor Burnley clearance and smashed a shot narrowly over the bar via a slight deflection, with 58 minutes played.

Fuchs then had an effort deflect wide after Amartey’s initial shot on the turn was blocked en route to goal.

Leicester could have added a third in the 72nd minute as a short free-kick form Mahrez found Albrighton on the edge of the box but his shot was also deflected wide.

The hosts got the third goal that their play deserved in the 78th minute, as Mee inadvertently steered the ball into his own net after Mahrez had put in a powerful centre.