Gunners too strong for 10-man Hull City

Arsenal made it three wins on the bounce after easing to a 4-1 victory over 10-man Hull City at KCOM Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

  • Hull City 1 Arsenal 4
  • Sanchez breaks the deadlock on 17 mins
  • Livermore sees red five minutes before HT
  • Sanchez sees his spot-kick saved
  • Walcott doubles Arsenal's lead after the break
  • Snodgrass pulls one back from the penalty spot
  • Sanchez nets late on to put result to bed
  • Xhaka adds a fourth in injury-time

Match summary

The visitors made the best possible start as Alexis Sanchez broke the deadlock after 17 minutes of play, before Jake Livermore received his marching orders after being adjudged to have handled the ball in the area. However, Hull were handed a lifeline just moments later as Eldin Jakupovic saved the resulting spot-kick from Sanchez.

Theo Walcott doubled the Gunners' advantage in the 55th minute, before Robert Snodgrass pulled one back for Hull in the 79th minute.

However, any hopes of a late comeback were quickly quashed as Sanchez netted his second of the game in the 83rd minute, before substitute Granit Xhaka added his name to the scoresheet in the second minute of injury-time.

Full report

After a somewhat muted start to the contest, Arsenal eventually began to impose themselves on proceedings, going close through efforts from Sanchez, Francis Coquelin and Alex Iwobi.

They got the breakthrough they were looking for in the 17th minute, Sanchez converting from close range after some good work in the build-up by Iwobi.

Alex Iwobi wheels away after his deflected strike made it 1-0 to the Arsenal #HCFCvAFC #Arsenal

A photo posted by Arsenal Official (@arsenal) on

Hull briefly threatened to draw level in the 21st minute, but Abel Hernández sent his left-footed shot wide of the left-hand post from inside the danger area.

Arsenal hit back with a string of good chances, but Walcott and Iwobi were denied by Jakupovic, while Mesut Özil fired over from the centre of the box on 27 minutes.

The Tigers would have feared the worst after seeing Livermore sent off for a handball in the danger area, but Sanchez was unable to capitalise as Jakupovic kept out his tame effort.

Despite that setback, though, Arsenal recovered well after the break and doubled their advantage on 55 minutes, Walcott racing onto an Iwobi through ball before slotting home into the bottom-right corner from the right side of the box.

Theo makes it two! Arsenal now 2-0 up in Hull #HCFCvAFC #Arsenal

A photo posted by Arsenal Official (@arsenal) on

However, Hull didn't allow their heads to drop and pulled one back in the 79th minute, Snodgrass converting from the penalty spot after Dieumerci Mbokani was hauled down in the area by Petr Cech, who picked up a yellow card for his troubles.

The goal only served to give the Gunners added motivation to put the game to bed and they did just that, reclaiming a two-goal lead through Sanchez's 83rd-minute shot, before Xhaka got in on the act with a shot into the top-left corner from outside the box in the second minute of injury-time.