Gunners snatch draw in Paris

Arsenal came from behind to force a 1-1 draw against Paris Saint-Germain in their Champions League opener at the Parc des Princes on Tuesday night.

  • Paris Saint-Ggermain 1 Arsenal 1
  • Cavani give hosts early lead
  • PSG dominate opening half
  • Sanchez equalises late in second half
  • Verratti and Giroud see red at the death

Match Summary

PSG took the lead after just 44 seconds when Edison Cavani headed home following great run and cross by right-back Serge Aurier. The hosts dominated the opening stanza but could find the back of the net as Cavani missed with the goal gaping just after the half-hour mark.

Gunners keeper David Ospina kept his team in the contest after the break, pulling off a number of saves before the hosts were made to pay for those misses as Alexis Sanchez equalised, scoring on the rebound after Alphonse Areola had kept out a shot from Alex Iwobi.

Both teams ended the game with 10 men when Marco Verratti and Olivier Giroud were given their marching orders in stoppage time for a scuffle off the ball.

Full Report

Arsenal got their Champions League campaign off to the worst possible start when Cavani put the French champions ahead after just 44 seconds.

From the kick-off, the ball was played out to the right where Aurier found space and delivered a sumptuous cross for the Uruguay striker to head home.

The early strike was the catalyst for Unai Emery's men to dominate the opening half as the visitors saw very little of the ball.

PSG could not add to their early strike before half-time, although they did go close when Ospina had to tip a vicious Angel Di Maria corner over the bar.

Cavani should have doubled his side's lead on 34 minutes but missed with an open goal in front of him after a mix-up in the Arsenal defence.

The Gunners were seeing more of the ball in the second stanza and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain was denied by some last-ditch defending from Marquinhos.

Ospina kept Arsenal in the game when he made two good saves in quick succession, first coming off his line to smother an attempt from Aurier before denying Cavani when the forward was one-on-one with the keeper.

PSG were made to pay for fluffing there chances when, with 13 minutes remaining, Sanchez equalised. Arsene Wenger's charges could have taken all three points back to London but Areola saved Iwobi's effort after being put through by Sanchez.

The match ended in unsavoury fashion when Verratti and Giroud were both dismissed for clashing off the ball.