Jeonbuk smash Shanghai 5-0 to reach ACL semis

Jeonbuk Hyundai cruised into the semi-finals of the AFC Champions League on Tuesday with an outstanding 5-0 win over Shanghai SIPG in the Jeonju World Cup Stadium.

Jeonbuk dominated the game, but could not find the net in the first period before two goals early in the second half from Leonardo and a Shi Ke own goal rewarded their outstanding attacking play. A penalty and two strikes from Lee Dong-gook in the final six minutes sealed an unbelievable win.

The game sprang into life early in the second half in the 50th minute when Hulk was brought down on the edge of the box after beating three players, but he curled the resulting free kick into the keeper’s arms.

Leonardo then broke the deadlock in the 52nd minute with a shot from the edge of the box after Kim Shin-wook had laid the ball off to him.

Jeonbuk should have gone 2-0 up just a minute later when Leonardo broke down the left wing and crossed agonisingly behind Lopes as he rushed into the penalty area.

Shanghai could have equalised in the 56th minute with their first real chance of the game when a cross found Wu Lei but he shot tamely into the keeper’s arms.

Then, in the 58th minute Jeonbuk doubled their lead thanks to some outstanding play from Lee Jae-sung.

The forward weaved his way into the area, played a one-two before cutting it back for Shi Ke to unluckily put through his own goal.

Shanghai’s Lu Wenjun was then sent off in the 74th minute when he kicked Kim Hyung-il in the head as the Jeonbuk defender bravely cleared the ball off the line from a Shanghai attack.

Leonardo netted his second to finish the game off with a penalty in the 81st-minute after a foul in the box, before Lee Dong-gook hit a low shot into the corner four minutes later.

He then repeated the feat in the 87th minute with another goal from distance.

In an entertaining first half Shanghai had a short spell of pressure immediately after kick off, but Jeonbuk slowly took control.

In the fourth minute Shi Ke sliced a dangerous cross from Lee Jae-sung over his own bar to prevent a certain Jeonbuk goal.

Jeonbuk then had the ball in the net in the sixth minute after Shanghai failed to clear the resulting corner. Lee Jae-sung hooked the ball high into the box and Kim Shin-wook headed into the net but a foul was given for pushing down on keeper.

Brazilian hitman Hulk, who had barely featured in the game, drew the game’s first yellow card in the 12th minute when Cho Sung-hwan was booked for coming through him from behind.

Giant frontman Kim Shin-wook continued to cause problems for the Shanghai defence, with SIPG seemingly content to soak up the pressure and use Hulk as an outlet.

In the 25th minute Jeonbuk came close to taking the lead following a smart break, a pass found Kim Bo-kyung on the edge of the box and his low curling effort shot was pushed around the post by Shanghai Yan Junling.

Jeonbuk continued to threaten throughout the remainder of the half but could not find the breakthrough their attacking play deserved.