Lukaku hat-trick sinks Sunderland

Romelu Lukaku ended his Premier League goal-scoring drought in emphatic fashion as he bagged an impressive hat-trick to fire Everton to a 3-0 victory over Sunderland at the Stadium of Light on Monday night.

  • Sunderland 0 Everton 3
  • Everton control first-half proceedings
  • Lukaku breaks the deadlock on the hour mark
  • Lukaku completes hat-trick on 71 mins
  • Everton move up to third in PL standings

Match summary

After a goalless first half in which Everton had created several good goal-scoring opportunities, the deadlock was finally broken on the hour mark when Romelu Lukaku  headed home from an Idrissa Gueye cross.

The striker then added a second in the 68th minute, before completing his hat-trick with a sublime finish three minutes later.

Full report

Despite boasting home advantage, Sunderland were on the back foot for much of the first half, with Everton dominating possession of the ball as well as attempts on goal.

The Toffees made their intentions known early on and very nearly grabbed the lead after just five minutes of play, but Idrissa Gueye failed to find the target after being teed up by Ross Barkley.

Sunderland hit back with a chance of their own five minutes later, Jermain Defoe firing over the bar from the centre of the danger area.

However, Everton always looked more likely to score, with Lukaku twice forcing Black Cats keeper Jordan Pickford into action, and Ashley Williams heading just wide of the left-hand post.

The hosts managed to hold firm in the remainder of the first half, though, and even created a handful of half-chances as the opening 45 minutes ended goalless.

Everton started the second half as they had the first, creating a whole host of good goal-scoring chances in the opening 15 minutes of play.

The Everton faithful would have been wondering if their team would be able to break the deadlock, though, following a series of squandered chances.

Yannick Bolasie was denied by Pickford in the 48th minute, while Lukaku and Seamus Coleman failed to find the mark with their respective efforts.

However, the deadlock was finally broken on the hour mark, Lukaku directing a powerful header into the bottom-left corner following a teasing cross from Idrissa Gueye out on the left.

Lukaku then went agonisingly close to adding a second just three minutes later, but was denied by the post after being teed up by the impressive Gueye once again.

The Belgium international wasn't to be denied a second in the 68th minute, however, as he headed home from a Yannick Bolasie cross to make it 2-0 to the visitors.

Sunderland were still reeling from the second goal when Everton struck again in the 71st minute. Lukaku latched onto a well weighted through pass from Kevin Mirallas before firing into the bottom-left corner from the centre of the box.

And the Toffees had several more chances to add to their advantage in the final 20 minutes, with Lukaku twice going close to adding to his tally, while Bolasie and Arouna Koné failed to find a way past Pickford in the Sunderland goal.